- For I would not, brethren, have you ignorant, that our fathers were all under the cloud, and all passed through the sea;
- and were all baptized unto Moses in the cloud and in the sea;
- and did all eat the same spiritual food;
- and did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of a spiritual rock that followed them: and the rock was Christ.
- Howbeit with most of them God was not well pleased: for they were overthrown in the wilderness.
- Now these things were our examples, to the intent we should not lust after evil things, as they also lusted.
- Neither be ye idolaters, as were some of them;
as it is written, The people sat down to eat and drink, and rose up to play.
- Neither let us commit fornication, as some of them committed, and fell in one day three and twenty thousand.
- Neither let us make trial of the Lord, as some of them made trial, and perished by the serpents.
- Neither murmur ye, as some of them murmured, and perished by the destroyer.
- Now these things happened unto them by way of example;
and they were written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the ages are come.
- Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall.
- There hath no temptation taken you but such as man can bear: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able;
but will with the temptation make also the way of escape, that ye may be able to endure it.
- Wherefore, my beloved, flee from idolatry.
- I speak as to wise men;
judge ye what I say.
- The cup of blessing which we bless, is it not a communion of the blood of Christ?
The bread which we break, is it not a communion of the body of Christ?
- seeing that we, who are many, are one bread, one body: for we are all partake of the one bread.
- Behold Israel after the flesh: have not they that eat the sacrifices communion with the altar?
- What say I then?
that a thing sacrificed to idols is anything, or that an idol is anything?
- But [I say], that the things which the Gentiles sacrifice, they sacrifice to demons, and not to God: and I would not that ye should have communion with demons.
- Ye cannot drink the cup of the Lord, and the cup of demons: ye cannot partake of the table of the Lord, and of the table of demons.
- Or do we provoke the Lord to jealousy?
are we stronger than he?
- All things are lawful;
but not all things are expedient.
All things are lawful;
but not all things edify.
- Let no man seek his own, but [each] his neighbor’s [good].
- Whatsoever is sold in the shambles, eat, asking no question for conscience’ sake,
- for the earth is the Lord’s, and the fulness thereof.
- If one of them that believe not biddeth you [to a feast], and ye are disposed to go;
whatsoever is set before you, eat, asking no question for conscience’ sake.
- But if any man say unto you, This hath been offered in sacrifice, eat not, for his sake that showed it, and for conscience sake:
- conscience, I say, not thine own, but the other’s;
for why is my liberty judged by another conscience?
- If I partake with thankfulness, why am I evil spoken of for that for which I give thanks?
- Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.
- Give no occasions of stumbling, either to Jews, or to Greeks, or to the church of God:
- even as I also please all men in all things, not seeking mine own profit, but the [profit] of the many, that they may be saved.