- But the Spirit saith expressly, that in later times some shall fall away from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits and doctrines of demons,
- through the hypocrisy of men that speak lies, branded in their own conscience as with a hot iron;
- forbidding to marry, [and commanding] to abstain from meats, which God created to be received with thanksgiving by them that believe and know the truth.
- For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be rejected, if it be received with thanksgiving:
- for it is sanctified through the word of God and prayer.
- If thou put the brethren in mind of these things, thou shalt be a good minister of Christ Jesus, nourished in the words of the faith, and of the good doctrine which thou hast followed [until now]:
- but refuse profane and old wives’ fables.
And exercise thyself unto godliness:
- for bodily exercise is profitable for a little;
but godliness is profitable for all things, having promise of the life which now is, and of that which is to come.
- Faithful is the saying, and worthy of all acceptation.
- For to this end we labor and strive, because we have our hope set on the living God, who is the Saviour of all men, specially of them that believe.
- These things command and teach.
- Let no man despise thy youth;
but be thou an ensample to them that believe, in word, in manner of life, in love, in faith, in purity.
- Till I come, give heed to reading, to exhortation, to teaching.
- Neglect not the gift that is in thee, which was given thee by prophecy, with the laying on of the hands of the presbytery.
- Be diligent in these things;
give thyself wholly to them;
that thy progress may be manifest unto all.
- Take heed to thyself, and to thy teaching.
Continue in these things;
for in doing this thou shalt save both thyself and them that hear thee.