- So Abijah slept with his fathers, and they buried him in the city of David;
and Asa his son reigned in his stead.
In his days the land was quiet ten years.
- And Asa did that which was good and right in the eyes of Jehovah his God:
- for he took away the foreign altars, and the high places, and brake down the pillars, and hewed down the Asherim,
- and commanded Judah to seek Jehovah, the God of their fathers, and to do the law and the commandment.
- Also he took away out of all the cities of Judah the high places and the sun-images: and the kingdom was quiet before him.
- And he built fortified cities in Judah;
for the land was quiet, and he had no war in those years, because Jehovah had given him rest.
- For he said unto Judah, Let us build these cities, and make about them walls, and towers, gates, and bars;
the land is yet before us, because we have sought Jehovah our God;
we have sought him, and he hath given us rest on every side.
So they built and prospered.
- And Asa had an army that bare bucklers and spears, out of Judah three hundred thousand;
and out of Benjamin, that bare shields and drew bows, two hundred and fourscore thousand: all these were mighty men of valor.
- And there came out against them Zerah the Ethiopian with an army of a thousand thousand, and three hundred chariots;
and he came unto Mareshah.
- Then Asa went out to meet him, and they set the battle in array in the valley of Zephathah at Mareshah.
- And Asa cried unto Jehovah his God, and said, Jehovah, there is none besides thee to help, between the mighty and him that hath no strength: help us, O Jehovah our God;
for we rely on thee, and in thy name are we come against this multitude.
O Jehovah, thou art our God;
let not man prevail against thee.
- So Jehovah smote the Ethiopians before Asa, and before Judah;
and the Ethiopians fled.
- And Asa and the people that were with him pursued them unto Gerar: and there fell of the Ethiopians so many that they could not recover themselves;
for they were destroyed before Jehovah, and before his host;
and they carried away very much booty.
- And they smote all the cities round about Gerar;
for the fear of Jehovah came upon them: and they despoiled all the cities;
for there was much spoil in them.
- They smote also the tents of cattle, and carried away sheep in abundance, and camels, and returned to Jerusalem.