- The elder unto the elect lady and her children, whom I love in truth;
and not I only, but also all they that know the truth;
- for the truth’s sake which abideth in us, and it shall be with us for ever:
- Grace, mercy, peace shall be with us, from God the Father, and from Jesus Christ, the Son of the Father, in truth and love.
- I rejoice greatly that I have found [certain] of thy children walking in truth, even as we received commandment from the Father.
- And now I beseech thee, lady, not as though I wrote to thee a new commandment, but that which we had from the beginning, that we love one another.
- And this is love, that we should walk after his commandments.
This is the commandment, even as ye heard from the beginning, that ye should walk in it.
- For many deceivers are gone forth into the world, [even] they that confess not that Jesus Christ cometh in the flesh.
This is the deceiver and the antichrist.
- Look to yourselves, that ye lose not the things which we have wrought, but that ye receive a full reward.
- Whosoever goeth onward and abideth not in the teaching of Christ, hath not God: he that abideth in the teaching, the same hath both the Father and the Son.
- If any one cometh unto you, and bringeth not this teaching, receive him not into [your] house, and give him no greeting:
- for he that giveth him greeting partaketh in his evil works.
- Having many things to write unto you, I would not [write them] with paper and ink: but I hope to come unto you, and to speak face to face, that your joy may be made full.
- The children of thine elect sister salute thee.