- Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus through the will of God, according to the promise of the life which is in Christ Jesus,
- to Timothy, my beloved child: Grace, mercy, peace, from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord.
- I thank God, whom I serve from my forefathers in a pure conscience, how unceasing is my remembrance of thee in my supplications, night and day
- longing to see thee, remembering thy tears, that I may be filled with joy;
- having been reminded of the unfeigned faith that is in thee;
which dwelt first in thy grandmother Lois, and thy mother Eunice;
and, I am persuaded, in thee also.
- For which cause I put thee in remembrance that thou stir up the gift of God, which is in thee through the laying on of my hands.
- For God gave us not a spirit of fearfulness;
but of power and love and discipline.
- Be not ashamed therefore of the testimony of our Lord, nor of me his prisoner: but suffer hardship with the gospel according to the power of God;
- who saved us, and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before times eternal,
- but hath now been manifested by the appearing of our Saviour Christ Jesus, who abolished death, and brought life and immortality to light through the gospel,
- whereunto I was appointed a preacher, and an apostle, and a teacher.
- For which cause I suffer also these things: yet I am not ashamed;
for I know him whom I have believed, and I am persuaded that he is able to guard that which I have committed unto him against that day.
- Hold the pattern of sound words which thou hast heard from me, in faith and love which is in Christ Jesus.
- That good thing which was committed unto [thee] guard through the Holy Spirit which dwelleth in us.
- This thou knowest, that all that are in Asia turned away from me;
of whom are Phygelus and Hermogenes.
- The Lord grant mercy unto the house of Onesiphorus: for he oft refreshed me, and was not ashamed of my chain;
- but, when he was in Rome, he sought me diligently, and found me
- (the Lord grant unto him to find mercy of the Lord in that day);
and in how many things he ministered at Ephesus, thou knowest very well.