- Hear ye this word which I take up for a lamentation over you, O house of Israel.
- The virgin of Israel is fallen;
she shall no more rise: she is cast down upon her land;
there is none to raise her up.
- For thus saith the Lord Jehovah: The city that went forth a thousand shall have a hundred left, and that which went forth a hundred shall have ten left, to the house of Israel.
- For thus saith Jehovah unto the house of Israel, Seek ye me, and ye shall live;
- but seek not Beth-el, nor enter into Gilgal, and pass not to Beer-sheba: for Gilgal shall surely go into captivity, and Beth-el shall come to nought.
- Seek Jehovah, and ye shall live;
lest he break out like fire in the house of Joseph, and it devour, and there be none to quench it in Beth-el.
- Ye who turn justice to wormwood, and cast down righteousness to the earth,
- [seek him] that maketh the Pleiades and Orion, and turneth the shadow of death into the morning, and maketh the day dark with night;
that calleth for the waters of the sea, and poureth them out upon the face of the earth (Jehovah is his name);
- that bringeth sudden destruction upon the strong, so that destruction cometh upon the fortress.
- They hate him that reproveth in the gate, and they abhor him that speaketh uprightly.
- Forasmuch therefore as ye trample upon the poor, and take exactions from him of wheat: ye have built houses of hewn stone, but ye shall not dwell in them;
ye have planted pleasant vineyards, but ye shall not drink the wine thereof.
- For I know how manifold are your transgressions, and how mighty are your sins-ye that afflict the just, that take a bribe, and that turn aside the needy in the gate [from their right].
- Therefore he that is prudent shall keep silence in such a time;
for it is an evil time.
- Seek good, and not evil, that ye may live;
and so Jehovah, the God of hosts, will be with you, as ye say.
- Hate the evil, and love the good, and establish justice in the gate: it may be that Jehovah, the God of hosts, will be gracious unto the remnant of Joseph.
- Therefore thus saith Jehovah, the God of hosts, the Lord: Wailing shall be in all the broad ways;
and they shall say in all the streets, Alas!
and they shall call the husbandman to mourning, and such as are skilful in lamentation to wailing.
- And in all vineyards shall be wailing;
for I will pass through the midst of thee, saith Jehovah.
- Woe unto you that desire the day of Jehovah!
Wherefore would ye have the day of Jehovah?
It is darkness, and not light.
- As if a man did flee from a lion, and a bear met him;
or went into the house and leaned his hand on the wall, and a serpent bit him.
- Shall not the day of Jehovah be darkness, and not light?
even very dark, and no brightness in it?
- I hate, I despise your feasts, and I will take no delight in your solemn assemblies.
- Yea, though ye offer me your burnt-offerings and meal-offerings, I will not accept them;
neither will I regard the peace-offerings of your fat beasts.
- Take thou away from me the noise of thy songs;
for I will not hear the melody of thy viols.
- But let justice roll down as waters, and righteousness as a mighty stream.
- Did ye bring unto me sacrifices and offerings in the wilderness forty years, O house of Israel?
- Yea, ye have borne the tabernacle of your king and the shrine of your images, the star of your god, which ye made to yourselves.
- Therefore will I cause you to go into captivity beyond Damascus, saith Jehovah, whose name is the God of hosts.