- Thus the Lord Jehovah showed me: and, behold, he formed locusts in the beginning of the shooting up of the latter growth;
and, lo, it was the latter growth after the king’s mowings.
- And it came to pass that, when they made an end of eating the grass of the land, then I said, O Lord Jehovah, forgive, I beseech thee: how shall Jacob stand?
for he is small.
- Jehovah repented concerning this: It shall not be, saith Jehovah.
- Thus the Lord Jehovah showed me: and, behold, the Lord Jehovah called to content by fire;
and it devoured the great deep, and would have eaten up the land.
- Then said I, O Lord Jehovah, cease, I beseech thee: how shall Jacob stand?
for he is small.
- Jehovah repented concerning this: this also shall not be, saith the Lord Jehovah.
- Thus he showed me: and, behold, the Lord stood beside a wall made by a plumb-line, with a plumb-line in his hand.
- And Jehovah said unto me, Amos, what seest thou?
And I said, A plumb-line.
Then said the Lord, Behold, I will set a plumb-line in the midst of my people Israel;
I will not again pass by them any more;
- and the high places of Isaac shall be desolate, and the sanctuaries of Israel shall be laid waste;
and I will rise against the house of Jeroboam with the sword.
- Then Amaziah the priest of Beth-el sent to Jeroboam king of Israel, saying, Amos hath conspired against thee in the midst of the house of Israel: the land is not able to bear all his words.
- For thus Amos saith, Jeroboam shall die by the sword, and Israel shall surely be led away captive out of his land.
- Also Amaziah said unto Amos, O thou seer, go, flee thou away into the land of Judah, and there eat bread, and prophesy there:
- but prophesy not again any more at Beth-el;
for it is the king’s sanctuary, and it is a royal house.
- Then answered Amos, and said to Amaziah, I was no prophet, neither was I a prophet’s son;
but I was a herdsman, and a dresser of sycomore-trees:
- and Jehovah took me from following the flock, and Jehovah said unto me, Go, prophesy unto my people Israel.
- Now therefore hear thou the word of Jehovah: Thou sayest, Prophesy not against Israel, and drop not [thy word] against the house of Isaac;
- therefore thus saith Jehovah: Thy wife shall be a harlot in the city, and thy sons and thy daughters shall fall by the sword, and thy land shall be divided by line;
and thou thyself shalt die in a land that is unclean, and Israel shall surely be led away captive out of his land.