- In the first year of Belshazzar king of Babylon Daniel had a dream and visions of his head upon his bed: then he wrote the dream and told the sum of the matters.
- Daniel spake and said, I saw in my vision by night, and, behold, the four winds of heaven brake forth upon the great sea.
- And four great beasts came up from the sea, diverse one from another.
- The first was like a lion, and had eagle’s wings: I beheld till the wings thereof were plucked, and it was lifted up from the earth, and made to stand upon two feet as a man;
and a man’s heart was given to it.
- And, behold, another beast, a second, like to a bear;
and it was raised up on one side, and three ribs were in its mouth between its teeth: and they said thus unto it, Arise, devour much flesh.
- After this I beheld, and, lo, another, like a leopard, which had upon its back four wings of a bird;
the beast had also four heads;
and dominion was given to it.
- After this I saw in the night-visions, and, behold, a fourth beast, terrible and powerful, and strong exceedingly;
and it had great iron teeth;
it devoured and brake in pieces, and stamped the residue with its feet: and it was diverse from all the beasts that were before it;
and it had ten horns.
- I considered the horns, and, behold, there came up among them another horn, a little one, before which three of the first horns were plucked up by the roots: and, behold, in this horn were eyes like the eyes of a man, and a mouth speaking great things.
- I beheld till thrones were placed, and one that was ancient of days did sit: his raiment was white as snow, and the hair of his head like pure wool;
his throne was fiery flames, [and] the wheels thereof burning fire.
- A fiery stream issued and came forth from before him: thousands of thousands ministered unto him, and ten thousand times ten thousand stood before him: the judgment was set, and the books were opened.
- I beheld at that time because of the voice of the great words which the horn spake;
I beheld even till the beast was slain, and its body destroyed, and it was given to be burned with fire.
- And as for the rest of the beasts, their dominion was taken away: yet their lives were prolonged for a season and a time.
- I saw in the night-visions, and, behold, there came with the clouds of heaven one like unto a son of man, and he came even to the ancient of days, and they brought him near before him.
- And there was given him dominion, and glory, and a kingdom, that all the peoples, nations, and languages should serve him: his dominion is an everlasting dominion, which shall not pass away, and his kingdom that which shall not be destroyed.
- As for me, Daniel, my spirit was grieved in the midst of my body, and the visions of my head troubled me.
- I came near unto one of them that stood by, and asked him the truth concerning all this.
So he told me, and made me know the interpretation of the things.
- These great beasts, which are four, are four kings, that shall arise out of the earth.
- But the saints of the Most High shall receive the kingdom, and possess the kingdom for ever, even for ever and ever.
- Then I desired to know the truth concerning the fourth beast, which was diverse from all of them, exceeding terrible, whose teeth were of iron, and its nails of brass;
which devoured, brake in pieces, and stamped the residue with its feet;
- and concerning the ten horns that were on its head, and the other [horn] which came up, and before which three fell, even that horn that had eyes, and a mouth that spake great things, whose look was more stout than its fellows.
- I beheld, and the same horn made war with the saints, and prevailed against them;
- until the ancient of days came, and judgment was given to the saints of the Most High, and the time came that the saints possessed the kingdom.
- Thus he said, The fourth beast shall be a fourth kingdom upon earth, which shall be diverse from all the kingdoms, and shall devour the whole earth, and shall tread it down, and break it in pieces.
- And as for the ten horns, out of this kingdom shall ten kings arise: and another shall arise after them;
and he shall be diverse from the former, and he shall put down three kings.
- And he shall speak words against the Most High, and shall wear out the saints of the Most High;
and he shall think to change the times and the law;
and they shall be given into his hand until a time and times and half a time.
- But the judgment shall be set, and they shall take away his dominion, to consume and to destroy it unto the end.
- And the kingdom and the dominion, and the greatness of the kingdoms under the whole heaven, shall be given to the people of the saints of the Most High: his kingdom is an everlasting kingdom, and all dominions shall serve and obey him.
- Here is the end of the matter.
As for me, Daniel, my thoughts much troubled me, and my countenance was changed in me: but I kept the matter in my heart.