- O foolish Galatians, who did bewitch you, before whose eyes Jesus Christ was openly set forth crucified?
- This only would I learn from you.
Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?
- Are ye so foolish?
having begun in the Spirit, are ye now perfected in the flesh?
- Did ye suffer so many things in vain?
if it be indeed in vain.
- He therefore that supplieth to you the Spirit, and worketh miracles among you, [doeth he it] by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?
- Even as Abraham believed God, and it was reckoned unto him for righteousness.
- Know therefore that they that are of faith, the same are sons of Abraham.
- And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, preached the gospel beforehand unto Abraham, [saying,] In thee shall all the nations be blessed.
- So then they that are of faith are blessed with the faithful Abraham.
- For as many as are of the works of the law are under a curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one who continueth not in all things that are written in the book of the law, to do them.
- Now that no man is justified by the law before God, is evident: for, The righteous shall live by faith;
- and the law is not of faith;
but, He that doeth them shall live in them.
- Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law, having become a curse for us;
for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:
- that upon the Gentiles might come the blessing of Abraham in Christ Jesus;
that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.
- Brethren, I speak after the manner of men: Though it be but a man’s covenant, yet when it hath been confirmed, no one maketh it void, or addeth thereto.
- Now to Abraham were the promises spoken, and to his seed.
He saith not, And to seeds, as of many;
but as of one, And to thy seed, which is Christ.
- Now this I say: A covenant confirmed beforehand by God, the law, which came four hundred and thirty years after, doth not disannul, so as to make the promise of none effect.
- For if the inheritance is of the law, it is no more of promise: but God hath granted it to Abraham by promise.
- What then is the law?
It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise hath been made;
[and it was] ordained through angels by the hand of a mediator.
- Now a mediator is not [a mediator] of one;
but God is one.
- Is the law then against the promises of God?
God forbid: for if there had been a law given which could make alive, verily righteousness would have been of the law.
- But the scriptures shut up all things under sin, that the promise by faith in Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe.
- But before faith came, we were kept in ward under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed.
- So that the law is become our tutor [to bring us] unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.
- But now faith that is come, we are no longer under a tutor.
- For ye are all sons of God, through faith, in Christ Jesus.
- For as many of you as were baptized into Christ did put on Christ.
- There can be neither Jew nor Greek, there can be neither bond nor free, there can be no male and female;
for ye all are one [man] in Christ Jesus.
- And if ye are Christ’s, then are ye Abraham’s seed, heirs according to promise.