- And the whole earth was of one language and of one speech.
- And it came to pass, as they journeyed east, that they found a plain in the land of Shinar;
and they dwelt there.
- And they said one to another, Come, let us make brick, and burn them thoroughly.
And they had brick for stone, and slime had they for mortar.
- And they said, Come, let us build us a city, and a tower, whose top [may reach] unto heaven, and let us make us a name;
lest we be scattered abroad upon the face of the whole earth.
- And Jehovah came down to see the city and the tower, which the children of men builded.
- And Jehovah said, Behold, they are one people, and they have all one language;
and this is what they begin to do: and now nothing will be withholden from them, which they purpose to do.
- Come, let us go down, and there confound their language, that they may not understand one another’s speech.
- So Jehovah scattered them abroad from thence upon the face of all the earth: and they left off building the city.
- Therefore was the name of it called Babel;
because Jehovah did there confound the language of all the earth: and from thence did Jehovah scatter them abroad upon the face of all the earth.
- These are the generations of Shem.
Shem was a hundred years old, and begat Arpachshad two years after the flood.
- and Shem lived after he begat Arpachshad five hundred years, and begat sons and daughters.
- And Arpachshad lived five and thirty years, and begat Shelah.
- and Arpachshad lived after he begat Shelah four hundred and three years, and begat sons and daughters.
- And Shelah lived thirty years, and begat Eber:
- and Shelah lived after he begat Eber four hundred and three years, and begat sons and daughters.
- And Eber lived four and thirty years, and begat Peleg:
- and Eber lived after he begat Peleg four hundred and thirty years, and begat sons and daughters.
- And Peleg lived thirty years, and begat Reu:
- and Peleg lived after he begat Reu two hundred and nine years, and begat sons and daughters.
- And Reu lived two and thirty years, and begat Serug:
- and Reu lived after he begat Serug two hundred and seven years, and begat sons and daughters.
- And Serug lived thirty years, and begat Nahor:
- and Serug lived after he begat Nahor two hundred years, and begat sons and daughters.
- And Nahor lived nine and twenty years, and begat Terah:
- and Nahor lived after he begat Terah a hundred and nineteen years, and begat sons and daughters.
- And Terah lived seventy years, and begat Abram, Nahor, and Haran.
- Now these are the generations of Terah.
Terah begat Abram, Nahor, and Haran.
And Haran begat Lot.
- And Haran died before his father Terah in the land of his nativity, in Ur of the Chaldees.
- And Abram and Nahor took them wives: The name of Abram’s wife was Sarai;
and the name of Nahor’s wife, Milcah, the daughter of Haran, the father of Milcah, and the father of Iscah.
- And Sarai was barren;
She had no child.
- And Terah took Abram his son, and Lot the son of Haran, his son’s son, and Sarai his daughter-in-law, his son Abram’s wife;
and they went forth with them from Ur of the Chaldees, to go into the land of Canaan;
and they came unto Haran, and dwelt there.
- And the days of Terah were two hundred and five years: and Terah died in Haran.