- Now Jehovah said unto Abram, Get thee out of thy country, and from thy kindred, and from thy father’s house, unto the land that I will show thee:
- and I will make of thee a great nation, and I will bless thee, and make they name great;
and be thou a blessing;
- and I will bless them that bless thee, and him that curseth thee will I curse: and in thee shall all the families of the earth be blessed.
- So Abram went, as Jehovah had spoken unto him;
and Lot went with him: and Abram was seventy and five years old when he departed out of Haran.
- And Abram took Sarai his wife, and Lot his brother’s son, and all their substance that they had gathered, and the souls that they had gotten in Haran;
and they went forth to go into the land of Canaan;
and into the land of Canaan they came.
- And Abram passed through the land unto the place of Shechem, unto the oak of Moreh.
And the Canaanite was then in the land.
- And Jehovah appeared unto Abram, and said, Unto thy seed will I give this land: and there builded he an altar unto Jehovah, who appeared unto him.
- And he removed from thence unto the mountain on the east of Beth-el, and pitched his tent, having Beth-el on the west, and Ai on the east: and there he builded an altar unto Jehovah, and called upon the name of Jehovah.
- And Abram journeyed, going on still toward the South.
- And there was a famine in the land: and Abram went down into Egypt to sojourn there;
for the famine was sore in the land.
- And it came to pass, when he was come near to enter into Egypt, that he said unto Sarai his wife, Behold now, I know that thou art a fair woman to look upon:
- and it will come to pass, when the Egyptians shall see thee, that they will say, This is his wife: and they will kill me, but they will save thee alive.
- Say, I pray thee, thou art my sister;
that it may be well with me for thy sake, and that my soul may live because of thee.
- And it came to pass, that, when Abram was come into Egypt, the Egyptians beheld the woman that she was very fair.
- And the princes of Pharaoh saw her, and praised her to Pharaoh: and the woman was taken into Pharaoh’s house.
- And he dealt well with Abram for her sake: and he had sheep, and oxen, and he-asses, and men-servants, and maid-servants, and she-asses, and camels.
- And Jehovah plagued Pharaoh and his house with great plagues because of Sarai, Abram’s wife.
- And Pharaoh called Abram, and said, What is this that thou hast done unto me?
why didst thou not tell me that she was thy wife?
- why saidst thou, She is my sister, so that I took her to be my wife?
now therefore behold thy wife, take her, and go thy way.
- And Pharaoh gave men charge concerning him: and they brought him on the way, and his wife, and all that he had.