- After these things the word of Jehovah came unto Abram in a vision, saying, Fear not, Abram: I am thy shield, [and] thy exceeding great reward.
- And Abram said, O Lord Jehovah, what wilt thou give me, seeing I go childless, and he that shall be possessor of my house is Eliezer of Damascus?
- And Abram said, Behold, to me thou hast given no seed: and, lo, one born in my house is mine heir.
- And, behold, the word of Jehovah came unto him, saying, This man shall not be thine heir;
But he that shall come forth out of thine own bowels shall be thine heir.
- And he brought him forth abroad, and said, Look now toward heaven, and number the stars, if thou be able to number them: and he said unto him, So shall thy seed be.
- And he believed in Jehovah;
and he reckoned it to him for righteousness.
- And he said unto him, I am Jehovah that brought thee out of Ur of the Chaldees, to give thee this land to inherit it.
- And he said, O Lord Jehovah, whereby shall I know that I shall inherit it?
- And he said unto him, Take me a heifer three years old, and a she-goat three years old, and a ram three years old, and a turtle-dove, and a young pigeon.
- And he took him all these, and divided them in the midst, and laid each half over against the other: but the birds divided he not.
- And the birds of prey came down upon the carcasses, and Abram drove them away.
- And when the sun was going down, a deep sleep fell upon Abram;
and, lo, a horror of great darkness fell upon him.
- And he said unto Abram, Know of a surety that thy seed shall be sojourners in a land that is not theirs, and shall serve them;
and they shall afflict them four hundred years;
- and also that nation, whom they shall serve, will I judge: and afterward shall they come out with great substance.
- But thou shalt go to thy fathers in peace;
thou shalt be buried in a good old age.
- And in the fourth generation they shall come hither again;
for the iniquity of the Amorite is not yet full.
- And it came to pass, that, when the sun went down, and it was dark, behold, a smoking furnace, and a flaming torch that passed between these pieces.
- In that day Jehovah made a covenant with Abram, saying, Unto thy seed have I given this land, from the river of Egypt unto the great river, the river Euphrates:
- the Kenite, and the Kenizzite, and the Kadmonite,
- and the Hittite, and the Perizzite, and the Rephaim,
- and the Amorite, and the Canaanite, and the Girgashite, and the Jebusite.