- And Jehovah appeared unto him by the oaks of Mamre, as he sat in the tent door in the heat of the day;
- and he lifted up his eyes and looked, and, lo, three men stood over against him: and when he saw them, he ran to meet them from the tent door, and bowed himself to the earth,
- and said, My lord, if now I have found favor in thy sight, pass not away, I pray thee, from thy servant:
- let now a little water be fetched, and wash your feet, and rest yourselves under the tree:
- and I will fetch a morsel of bread, and strengthen ye your heart;
after that ye shall pass on: forasmuch as ye are come to your servant.
And they said, So do, as thou hast said.
- And Abraham hastened into the tent unto Sarah, and said, Make ready quickly three measures of fine meal, knead it, and make cakes.
- And Abraham ran unto the herd, and fetched a calf tender and good, and gave it unto the servant;
and he hasted to dress it.
- And he took butter, and milk, and the calf which he had dressed, and set it before them;
and he stood by them under the tree, and they did eat.
- And they said unto him, Where is Sarah thy wife?
And he said, Behold, in the tent.
- And he said, I will certainly return unto thee when the season cometh round;
and, lo, Sarah thy wife shall have a son.
And Sarah heard in the tent door, which was behind him.
- Now Abraham and Sarah were old, [and] well stricken in age;
it had ceased to be with Sarah after the manner of women.
- And Sarah laughed within herself, saying, After I am waxed old shall I have pleasure, my lord being old also?
- And Jehovah said unto Abraham, Wherefore did Sarah laugh, saying, Shall I of a surety bear a child, who am old?
- Is anything too hard for Jehovah?
At the set time I will return unto thee, when the season cometh round, and Sarah shall have a son.
- Then Sarah denied, saying, I laughed not;
for she was afraid.
And he said, Nay;
but thou didst laugh.
- And the men rose up from thence, and looked toward Sodom: and Abraham went with them to bring them on the way.
- And Jehovah said, Shall I hide from Abraham that which I do;
- seeing that Abraham had surely become a great and mighty nation, and all the nations of the earth shall be blessed in him?
- For I have known him, to the end that he may command his children and his household after him, that they may keep the way of Jehovah, to do righteousness and justice;
to the end that Jehovah may bring upon Abraham that which he hath spoken of him.
- And Jehovah said, Because the cry of Sodom and Gomorrah is great, and because their sin is very grievous;
- I will go down now, and see whether they have done altogether according to the cry of it, which is come unto me;
and if not, I will know.
- And the men turned from thence, and went toward Sodom: but Abraham stood yet before Jehovah.
- And Abraham drew near, and said, Wilt thou consume the righteous with the wicked?
- Peradventure there are fifty righteous within the city: wilt thou consume and not spare the place for the fifty righteous that are therein?
- That be far from thee to do after this manner, to slay the righteous with the wicked, that so the righteous should be as the wicked;
that be far from thee: shall not the Judge of all the earth do right?
- And Jehovah said, If I find in Sodom fifty righteous within the city, then I will spare all the place for their sake.
- And Abraham answered and said, Behold now, I have taken upon me to speak unto the Lord, who am but dust and ashes:
- peradventure there shall lack five of the fifty righteous: wilt thou destroy all the city for lack of five?
And he said, I will not destroy it, if I find there forty and five.
- And he spake unto him yet again, and said, Peradventure there shall be forty found there.
And he said, I will not do it for the forty’s sake.
- And he said, Oh let not the Lord be angry, and I will speak: peradventure there shall thirty be found there.
And he said, I will not do it, if I find thirty there.
- And he said, Behold now, I have taken upon me to speak unto the Lord: peradventure there shall be twenty found there.
And he said, I will not destroy it for the twenty’s sake.
- And he said, Oh let not the Lord be angry, and I will speak yet but this once: peradventure ten shall be found there.
And he said, I will not destroy it for the ten’s sake.
- And Jehovah went his way, as soon as he had left off communing with Abraham: and Abraham returned unto his place.