- And God said unto Jacob, Arise, go up to Beth-el, and dwell there: and make there an altar unto God, who appeared unto thee when thou fleddest from the face of Esau thy brother.
- Then Jacob said unto his household, and to all that were with him, Put away the foreign gods that are among you, and purify yourselves, and change your garments:
- and let us arise, and go up to Beth-el;
and I will make there an altar unto God, who answered me in the day of my distress, and was with me in the way which I went.
- And they gave unto Jacob all the foreign gods which were in their hand, and the rings which were in their ears;
and Jacob hid them under the oak which was by Shechem.
- And they journeyed: and a terror of God was upon the cities that were round about them, and they did not pursue after the sons of Jacob.
- So Jacob came to Luz, which is in the land of Canaan (the same is Beth-el), he and all the people that were with him.
- And he built there an altar, and called the place El-beth-el;
because there God was revealed unto him, when he fled from the face of his brother.
- And Deborah Rebekah’s nurse died, and she was buried below Beth-el under the oak: and the name of it was called Allon-bacuth.
- And God appeared unto Jacob again, when he came from Paddan-aram, and blessed him.
- And God said unto him, Thy name is Jacob: thy name shall not be called any more Jacob, but Israel shall be thy name: and he called his name Israel.
- And God said unto him, I am God Almighty: be fruitful and multiply;
a nation and a company of nations shall be of thee, and kings shall come out of thy loins;
- and the land which I gave unto Abraham and Isaac, to thee I will give it, and to thy seed after thee will I give the land.
- And God went up from him in the place where he spake with him.
- And Jacob set up a pillar in the place where he spake with him, a pillar of stone: and he poured out a drink-offering thereon, and poured oil thereon.
- And Jacob called the name of the place where God spake with him, Beth-el.
- And they journeyed from Beth-el;
and there was still some distance to come to Ephrath: and Rachel travailed, and she had hard labor.
- And it came to pass, when she was in hard labor, that the midwife said unto her, Fear not;
for now thou shalt have another son.
- And it came to pass, as her soul was departing (for she died), that she called his name Ben-oni: but his father called him Benjamin.
- And Rachel died, and was buried in the way to Ephrath (the same is Beth-lehem).
- And Jacob set up a pillar upon her grave: the same is the Pillar of Rachel’s grave unto this day.
- And Israel journeyed, and spread his tent beyond the tower of Eder.
- And it came to pass, while Israel dwelt in that land, that Reuben went and lay with Bilhah his father’s concubine: and Israel heard of it.
Now the sons of Jacob were twelve:
- The sons of Leah: Reuben, Jacob’s first-born, and Simeon, and Levi, and Judah, and Issachar, and Zebulun;
- the sons of Rachel: Joseph and Benjamin;
- and the sons of Bilhah, Rachel’s handmaid: Dan and Naphtali;
- and the sons of Zilpah, Leah’s handmaid: Gad and Asher: these are the sons of Jacob, that were born to him in Paddan-aram.
- And Jacob came unto Isaac his father to Mamre, to Kiriath-arba (the same is Hebron), where Abraham and Isaac sojourned.
- And the days of Isaac were a hundred and fourscore years.
- And Isaac gave up the ghost, and died, and was gathered unto his people, old and full of days: and Esau and Jacob his sons buried him.