- And the man knew Eve his wife;
and she conceived, and bare Cain, and said, I have gotten a man with [the help of] Jehovah.
- And again she bare his brother Abel.
And Abel was a keeper of sheep, but Cain was a tiller of the ground.
- And in process of time it came to pass, that Cain brought of the fruit of the ground an offering unto Jehovah.
- And Abel, he also brought of the firstlings of his flock and of the fat thereof.
And Jehovah had respect unto Abel and to his offering:
- but unto Cain and to his offering he had not respect.
And Cain was very wroth, and his countenance fell.
- And Jehovah said unto Cain, Why art thou wroth?
and why is thy countenance fallen?
- If thou doest well, shall it not be lifted up?
and if thou doest not well, sin coucheth at the door: and unto thee shall be its desire, but do thou rule over it.
- And Cain told Abel his brother.
And it came to pass, when they were in the field, that Cain rose up against Abel his brother, and slew him.
- And Jehovah said unto Cain, Where is Abel thy brother?
And he said, I know not: am I my brother’s keeper?
- And he said, What hast thou done?
the voice of thy brother’s blood crieth unto me from the ground.
- And now cursed art thou from the ground, which hath opened its mouth to receive thy brother’s blood from thy hand;
- when thou tillest the ground, it shall not henceforth yield unto thee its strength;
a fugitive and a wanderer shalt thou be in the earth.
- And Cain said unto Jehovah, My punishment is greater than I can bear.
- Behold, thou hast driven me out this day from the face of the ground;
and from thy face shall I be hid;
and I shall be a fugitive and a wanderer in the earth;
and it will come to pass, that whosoever findeth me will slay me.
- And Jehovah said unto him, Therefore whosoever slayeth Cain, vengeance shall be taken on him sevenfold.
And Jehovah appointed a sign for Cain, lest any finding him should smite him.
- And Cain went out from the presence of Jehovah, and dwelt in the land of Nod, on the east of Eden.
- And Cain knew his wife;
and she conceived, and bare Enoch: and he builded a city, and called the name of the city, after the name of his son, Enoch.
- And unto Enoch was born Irad: and Irad begat Mehujael: and Mehujael begat Methushael;
and Methushael begat Lamech.
- And Lamech took unto him two wives: the name of the one was Adah, and the name of the other Zillah.
- And Adah bare Jabal: he was the father of such as dwell in tents and [have] cattle.
- And his brother’s name was Jubal: he was the father of all such as handle the harp and pipe.
- And Zillah, she also bare Tubal-cain, the forger of every cutting instrument of brass and iron: and the sister of Tubal-cain was Naamah.
- And Lamech said unto his wives: Adah and Zillah, hear my voice;
Ye wives of Lamech, hearken unto my speech: For I have slain a man for wounding me, And a young man for bruising me:
- If Cain shall be avenged sevenfold, Truly Lamech seventy and sevenfold.
- And Adam knew his wife again;
and she bare a son, and called his name Seth.
For, [said she], God hath appointed me another seed instead of Abel;
for Cain slew him.
- And to Seth, to him also there was born a son;
and he called his name Enosh.
Then began men to call upon the name of Jehovah.