- And Israel took his journey with all that he had, and came to Beer-sheba, and offered sacrifices unto the God of his father Isaac.
- And God spake unto Israel in the visions of the night, and said, Jacob, Jacob.
And he said, Here am I.
- And he said, I am God, the God of thy father: fear not to go down into Egypt;
for I will there make of thee a great nation:
- I will go down with thee into Egypt;
and I will also surely bring thee up again: and Joseph shall put his hand upon thine eyes.
- And Jacob rose up from Beer-sheba: and the sons of Israel carried Jacob their father, and their little ones, and their wives, in the wagons which Pharaoh had sent to carry him.
- And they took their cattle, and their goods, which they had gotten in the land of Canaan, and came into Egypt, Jacob, and all his seed with him:
- his sons, and his sons’ sons with him, his daughters, and his sons’s daughters, and all his seed brought he with him into Egypt.
- And these are the names of the children of Israel, who came into Egypt, Jacob and his sons: Reuben, Jacob’s first-born.
- And the sons of Reuben: Hanoch, and Pallu, and Hezron, and Carmi.
- And the sons of Simeon: Jemuel, and Jamin, and Ohad, and Jachin, and Zohar, and Shaul the son of a Canaanitish woman.
- And the sons of Levi: Gershon, Kohath, and Merari.
- And the sons of Judah: Er, and Onan, and Shelah, and Perez, and Zerah;
but Er and Onan died in the land of Canaan.
And the sons of Perez were Hezron and Hamul.
- And the sons of Issachar: Tola, and Puvah, and Iob, and Shimron.
- And the sons of Zebulun: Sered, and Elon, and Jahleel.
- These are the sons of Leah, whom she bare unto Jacob in Paddan-aram, with his daughter Dinah: all the souls of his sons and his daughters were thirty and three.
- And the sons of Gad: Ziphion, and Haggi, Shuni, and Ezbon, Eri, and Arodi, and Areli.
- And the sons of Asher: Imnah, and Ishvah, and Ishvi, and Beriah, and Serah their sister;
and the sons of Beriah: Heber, and Malchiel.
- These are the sons of Zilpah, whom Laban gave to Leah his daughter;
and these she bare unto Jacob, even sixteen souls.
- The sons of Rachel Jacob’s wife: Joseph and Benjamin.
- And unto Joseph in the land of Egypt were born Manasseh and Ephraim, whom Asenath, the daughter of Poti-phera priest of On, bare unto him.
- And the sons of Benjamin: Bela, and Becher, and Ashbel, Gera, and Naaman, Ehi, and Rosh, Muppim, and Huppim, and Ard.
- These are the sons of Rachel, who were born to Jacob: all the souls were fourteen.
- And the sons of Dan: Hushim.
- And the sons of Naphtali: Jahzeel, and Guni, and Jezer, and Shillem.
- These are the sons of Bilhah, whom Laban gave unto Rachel his daughter, and these she bare unto Jacob: all the souls were seven.
- All the souls that came with Jacob into Egypt, that came out of his loins, besides Jacob’s sons’ wives, all the souls were threescore and six;
- and the sons of Joseph, who were born to him in Egypt, were two souls: all the souls of the house of Jacob, that came into Egypt, were threescore and ten.
- And he sent Judah before him unto Joseph, to show the way before him unto Goshen;
and they came into the land of Goshen.
- And Joseph made ready his chariot, and went up to meet Israel his father, to Goshen;
and he presented himself unto him, and fell on his neck, and wept on his neck a good while.
- And Israel said unto Joseph, Now let me die, since I have seen thy face, that thou art yet alive.
- And Joseph said unto his brethren, and unto his father’s house, I will go up, and tell Pharaoh, and will say unto him, My brethren, and my father’s house, who were in the land of Canaan, are come unto me;
- and the men are shepherds, for they have been keepers of cattle;
and they have brought their flocks, and their herds, and all that they have.
- And it shall come to pass, when Pharaoh shall call you, and shall say, What is your occupation?
- that ye shall say, Thy servants have been keepers of cattle from our youth even until now, both we, and our fathers: that ye may dwell in the land of Goshen;
for every shepherd is an abomination unto the Egyptians.