- When Israel was a child, then I loved him, and called my son out of Egypt.
- The more [the prophets] called them, the more they went from them: they sacrificed unto the Baalim, and burned incense to graven images.
- Yet I taught Ephraim to walk;
I took them on my arms;
but they knew not that I healed them.
- I drew them with cords of a man, with bands of love;
and I was to them as they that lift up the yoke on their jaws;
and I laid food before them.
- They shall not return into the land of Egypt;
but the Assyrian shall be their king, because they refused to return [to me].
- And the sword shall fall upon their cities, and shall consume their bars, and devour [them], because of their own counsels.
- And my people are bent on backsliding from me: though they call them to [him that is] on high, none at all will exalt [him].
- How shall I give thee up, Ephraim?
[how] shall I cast thee off, Israel?
how shall I make thee as Admah?
[how] shall I set thee as Zeboiim?
my heart is turned within me, my compassions are kindled together.
- I will not execute the fierceness of mine anger, I will not return to destroy Ephraim: for I am God, and not man;
the Holy One in the midst of thee;
and I will not come in wrath.
- They shall walk after Jehovah, who will roar like a lion;
for he will roar, and the children shall come trembling from the west.
- They shall come trembling as a bird out of Egypt, and as a dove out of the land of Assyria;
and I will make them to dwell in their houses, saith Jehovah.
- Ephraim compasseth me about with falsehood, and the house of Israel with deceit;
but Judah yet ruleth with God, and is faithful with the Holy One.