- Hear the word of Jehovah, ye children of Israel;
for Jehovah hath a controversy with the inhabitants of the land, because there is no truth, nor goodness, nor knowledge of God in the land.
- There is nought but swearing and breaking faith, and killing, and stealing, and committing adultery;
they break out, and blood toucheth blood.
- Therefore shall the land mourn, and every one that dwelleth therein shall languish, with the beasts of the field and the birds of the heavens;
yea, the fishes of the sea also shall be taken away.
- Yet let no man strive, neither let any man reprove;
for thy people are as they that strive with the priest.
- And thou shalt stumble in the day, and the prophet also shall stumble with thee in the night;
and I will destroy thy mother.
- My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge, I will also reject thee, that thou shalt be no priest to me: seeing thou hast forgotten the law of thy God, I also will forget thy children.
- As they were multiplied, so they sinned against me: I will change their glory into shame.
- They feed on the sin of my people, and set their heart on their iniquity.
- And it shall be, like people, like priest;
and I will punish them for their ways, and will requite them their doings.
- And they shall eat, and not have enough;
they shall play the harlot, and shall not increase;
because they have left off taking heed to Jehovah.
- Whoredom and wine and new wine take away the understanding.
- My people ask counsel at their stock, and their staff declareth unto them;
for the spirit of whoredom hath caused them to err, and they have played the harlot, [departing] from under their God.
- They sacrifice upon the tops of the mountains, and burn incense upon the hills, under oaks and poplars and terebinths, because the shadow thereof is good: therefore your daughters play the harlot, and your brides commit adultery.
- I will not punish your daughters when they play the harlot, nor your brides when they commit adultery;
for [the men] themselves go apart with harlots, and they sacrifice with the prostitutes;
and the people that doth not understand shall be overthrown.
- Though thou, Israel, play the harlot, yet let not Judah offend;
and come not ye unto Gilgal, neither go ye up to Beth-aven, nor swear, As Jehovah liveth.
- For Israel hath behaved himself stubbornly, like a stubborn heifer: now will Jehovah feed them as a lamb in a large place.
- Ephraim is joined to idols;
let him alone.
- Their drink is become sour;
they play the harlot continually;
her rulers dearly love shame.
- The wind hath wrapped her up in its wings;
and they shall be put to shame because of their sacrifices.