- When I would heal Israel, then is the iniquity of Ephraim uncovered, and the wickedness of Samaria;
for they commit falsehood, and the thief entereth in, and the troop of robbers ravageth without.
- And they consider not in their hearts that I remember all their wickedness: now have their own doings beset them about;
they are before my face.
- They make the king glad with their wickedness, and the princes with their lies.
- They are all adulterers;
they are as an oven heated by the baker;
he ceaseth to stir [the fire], from the kneading of the dough, until it be leavened.
- On the day of our king the princes made themselves sick with the heat of wine;
he stretched out his hand with scoffers.
- For they have made ready their heart like an oven, while they lie in wait: their baker sleepeth all the night;
in the morning it burneth as a flaming fire.
- They are all hot as an oven, and devour their judges;
all their kings are fallen: there is none among them that calleth unto me.
- Ephraim, he mixeth himself among the peoples;
Ephraim is a cake not turned.
- Strangers have devoured his strength, and he knoweth [it] not: yea, gray hairs are here and there upon him, and he knoweth [it] not.
- And the pride of Israel doth testify to his face: yet they have not returned unto Jehovah their God, nor sought him, for all this.
- And Ephraim is like a silly dove, without understanding: they call unto Egypt, they go to Assyria.
- When they shall go, I will spread my net upon them;
I will bring them down as the birds of the heavens;
I will chastise them, as their congregation hath heard.
- Woe unto them!
for they have wandered from me;
destruction unto them!
for they have trespassed against me: though I would redeem them, yet they have spoken lies against me.
- And they have not cried unto me with their heart, but they howl upon their beds: they assemble themselves for grain and new wine;
they rebel against me.
- Though I have taught and strengthened their arms, yet do they devise mischief against me.
- They return, but not to [him that is] on high;
they are like a deceitful bow;
their princes shall fall by the sword for the rage of their tongue: this shall be their derision in the land of Egypt.