- [Set] the trumpet to thy mouth.
As an eagle [he cometh] against the house of Jehovah, because they have transgressed my covenant, and trespassed against my law.
- They shall cry unto me, My God, we Israel know thee.
- Israel hath cast off that which is good: the enemy shall pursue him.
- They have set up kings, but not by me;
they have made princes, and I knew it not: of their silver and their gold have they made them idols, that they may be cut off.
- He hath cast off thy calf, O Samaria;
mine anger is kindled against them: how long will it be ere they attain to innocency?
- For from Israel is even this;
the workman made it, and it is no God;
yea, the calf of Samaria shall be broken in pieces.
- For they sow the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind: he hath no standing grain;
the blade shall yield no meal;
if so be it yield, strangers shall swallow it up.
- Israel is swallowed up: now are they among the nations as a vessel wherein none delighteth.
- For they are gone up to Assyria, [like] a wild ass alone by himself: Ephraim hath hired lovers.
- Yea, though they hire among the nations, now will I gather them;
and they begin to be diminished by reason of the burden of the king of princes.
- Because Ephraim hath multiplied altars for sinning, altars have been unto him for sinning.
- I wrote for him the ten thousand things of my law;
but they are counted as a strange thing.
- As for the sacrifices of mine offerings, they sacrifice flesh and eat it;
but Jehovah accepteth them not: now will he remember their iniquity, and visit their sins;
they shall return to Egypt.
- For Israel hath forgotten his Maker, and builded palaces;
and Judah hath multiplied fortified cities: but I will send a fire upon his cities, and it shall devour the castles thereof.