- The vision of Isaiah the son of Amoz, which he saw concerning Judah and Jerusalem, in the days of Uzziah, Jotham, Ahaz, and Hezekiah, kings of Judah.
- Hear, O heavens, and give ear, O earth;
for Jehovah hath spoken: I have nourished and brought up children, and they have rebelled against me.
- The ox knoweth his owner, and the ass his master’s crib;
[but] Israel doth not know, my people doth not consider.
- Ah sinful nation, a people laden with iniquity, a seed of evil-doers, children that deal corruptly!
they have forsaken Jehovah, they have despised the Holy One of Israel, they are estranged [and gone] backward.
- Why will ye be still stricken, that ye revolt more and more?
the whole head is sick, and the whole heart faint.
- From the sole of the foot even unto the head there is no soundness in it;
[but] wounds, and bruises, and fresh stripes: they have not been closed, neither bound up, neither mollified with oil.
- Your country is desolate;
your cities are burned with fire;
your land, strangers devour it in your presence, and it is desolate, as overthrown by strangers.
- And the daughter of Zion is left as a booth in a vineyard, as a lodge in a garden of cucumbers, as a besieged city.
- Except Jehovah of hosts had left unto us a very small remnant, we should have been as Sodom, we should have been like unto Gomorrah.
- Hear the word of Jehovah, ye rulers of Sodom;
give ear unto the law of our God, ye people of Gomorrah.
- What unto me is the multitude of your sacrifices?
saith Jehovah: I have had enough of the burnt-offerings of rams, and the fat of fed beasts;
and I delight not in the blood of bullocks, or of lambs, or of he-goats.
- When ye come to appear before me, who hath required this at your hand, to trample my courts?
- Bring no more vain oblations;
incense is an abomination unto me;
new moon and sabbath, the calling of assemblies,- I cannot away with iniquity and the solemn meeting.
- Your new moons and your appointed feasts my soul hateth;
they are a trouble unto me;
I am weary of bearing them.
- And when ye spread forth your hands, I will hide mine eyes from you;
yea, when ye make many prayers, I will not hear: your hands are full of blood.
- Wash you, make you clean;
put away the evil of your doings from before mine eyes;
cease to do evil;
- learn to do well;
seek justice, relieve the oppressed, judge the fatherless, plead for the widow.
- Come now, and let us reason together, saith Jehovah: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow;
though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool.
- If ye be willing and obedient, ye shall eat the good of the land:
- but if ye refuse and rebel, ye shall be devoured with the sword;
for the mouth of Jehovah hath spoken it.
- How is the faithful city become a harlot!
she that was full of justice!
righteousness lodged in her, but now murderers.
- Thy silver is become dross, thy wine mixed with water.
- Thy princes are rebellious, and companions of thieves;
every one loveth bribes, and followeth after rewards: they judge not the fatherless, neither doth the cause of the widow come unto them.
- Therefore saith the Lord, Jehovah of hosts, the Mighty One of Israel, Ah, I will ease me of mine adversaries, and avenge me of mine enemies;
- and I will turn my hand upon thee, and thoroughly purge away thy dross, and will take away all thy tin;
- and I will restore thy judges as at the first, and thy counsellors as at the beginning: afterward thou shalt be called The city of righteousness, a faithful town.
- Zion shall be redeemed with justice, and her converts with righteousness.
- But the destruction of transgressors and sinners shall be together, and they that forsake Jehovah shall be consumed.
- For they shall be ashamed of the oaks which ye have desired, and ye shall be confounded for the gardens that ye have chosen.
- For ye shall be as an oak whose leaf fadeth, and as a garden that hath no water.
- And the strong shall be as tow, and his work as a spark;
and they shall both burn together, and none shall quench them.