- The burden of Egypt.
Behold, Jehovah rideth upon a swift cloud, and cometh unto Egypt: and the idols of Egypt shall tremble at his presence;
and the heart of Egypt shall melt in the midst of it.
- And I will stir up the Egyptians against the Egyptians: and they shall fight every one against his brother, and every one against his neighbor;
city against city, [and] kingdom against kingdom.
- And the spirit of Egypt shall fail in the midst of it;
and I will destroy the counsel thereof: and they shall seek unto the idols, and to the charmers, and to them that have familiar spirits, and to the wizards.
- And I will give over the Egyptians into the hand of a cruel lord;
and a fierce king shall rule over them, saith the Lord, Jehovah of hosts.
- And the waters shall fail from the sea, and the river shall be wasted and become dry.
- And the rivers shall become foul;
the streams of Egypt shall be diminished and dried up;
the reeds and flags shall wither away.
- The meadows by the Nile, by the brink of the Nile, and all the sown fields of the Nile, shall become dry, be driven away, and be no more.
- And the fishers shall lament, and all they that cast angle into the Nile shall mourn, and they that spread nets upon the waters shall languish.
- Moreover they that work in combed flax, and they that weave white cloth, shall be confounded.
- And the pillars [of Egypt] shall be broken in pieces;
all they that work for hire [shall be] grieved in soul.
- The princes of Zoan are utterly foolish;
the counsel of the wisest counsellors of Pharaoh is become brutish: how say ye unto Pharaoh, I am the son of the wise, the son of ancient kings?
- Where then are thy wise men?
and let them tell thee now;
and let them know what Jehovah of hosts hath purposed concerning Egypt.
- The princes of Zoan are become fools, the princes of Memphis are deceived;
they have caused Egypt to go astray, that are the corner-stone of her tribes.
- Jehovah hath mingled a spirit of perverseness in the midst of her;
and they have caused Egypt to go astray in every work thereof, as a drunken man staggereth in his vomit.
- Neither shall there be for Egypt any work, which head or tail, palm-branch or rush, may do.
- In that day shall the Egyptians be like unto women;
and they shall tremble and fear because of the shaking of the hand of Jehovah of hosts, which he shaketh over them.
- And the land of Judah shall become a terror unto Egypt;
every one to whom mention is made thereof shall be afraid, because of the purpose of Jehovah of hosts, which he purposeth against it.
- In that day there shall be five cities in the land of Egypt that speak the language of Canaan, and swear to Jehovah of hosts;
one shall be called The city of destruction.
- In that day shall there be an altar to Jehovah in the midst of the land of Egypt, and a pillar at the border thereof to Jehovah.
- And it shall be for a sign and for a witness unto Jehovah of hosts in the land of Egypt;
for they shall cry unto Jehovah because of oppressors, and he will send them a saviour, and a defender, and he will deliver them.
- And Jehovah shall be known to Egypt, and the Egyptians shall know Jehovah in that day;
yea, they shall worship with sacrifice and oblation, and shall vow a vow unto Jehovah, and shall perform it.
- And Jehovah will smite Egypt, smiting and healing;
and they shall return unto Jehovah, and he will be entreated of them, and will heal them.
- In that day shall there be a highway out of Egypt to Assyria, and the Assyrian shall come into Egypt, and the Egyptian into Assyria;
and the Egyptians shall worship with the Assyrians.
- In that day shall Israel be the third with Egypt and with Assyria, a blessing in the midst of the earth;
- for that Jehovah of hosts hath blessed them, saying, Blessed be Egypt my people, and Assyria the work of my hands, and Israel mine inheritance.