- The burden of the wilderness of the sea.
As whirlwinds in the South sweep through, it cometh from the wilderness, from a terrible land.
- A grievous vision is declared unto me;
the treacherous man dealeth treacherously, and the destroyer destroyeth.
Go up, O Elam;
besiege, O Media;
all the sighing thereof have I made to cease.
- Therefore are my loins filled with anguish;
pangs have taken hold upon me, as the pangs of a woman in travail: I am pained so that I cannot hear;
I am dismayed so that I cannot see.
- My heart fluttereth, horror hath affrighted me;
the twilight that I desired hath been turned into trembling unto me.
- They prepare the table, they set the watch, they eat, they drink: rise up, ye princes, anoint the shield.
- For thus hath the Lord said unto me, Go, set a watchman: let him declare what he seeth:
- and when he seeth a troop, horsemen in pairs, a troop of asses, a troop of camels, he shall hearken diligently with much heed.
- And he cried as a lion: O Lord, I stand continually upon the watch-tower in the day-time, and am set in my ward whole nights;
- and, behold, here cometh a troop of men, horsemen in pairs.
And he answered and said, Fallen, fallen is Babylon;
and all the graven images of her gods are broken unto the ground.
- O thou my threshing, and the grain of my floor!
that which I have heard from Jehovah of hosts, the God of Israel, have I declared unto you.
- The burden of Dumah.
One calleth unto me out of Seir, Watchman, what of the night?
Watchman, what of the night?
- The watchman said, The morning cometh, and also the night: if ye will inquire, inquire ye: turn ye, come.
- The burden upon Arabia.
In the forest in Arabia shall ye lodge, O ye caravans of Dedanites.
- Unto him that was thirsty they brought water;
the inhabitants of the land of Tema did meet the fugitives with their bread.
- For they fled away from the swords, from the drawn sword, and from the bent bow, and from the grievousness of war.
- For thus hath the Lord said unto me, Within a year, according to the years of a hireling, all the glory of Kedar shall fail;
- and the residue of the number of the archers, the mighty men of the children of Kedar, shall be few;
for Jehovah, the God of Israel, hath spoken it.