- Behold, Jehovah maketh the earth empty, and maketh it waste, and turneth it upside down, and scattereth abroad the inhabitants thereof.
- And it shall be, as with the people, so with the priest;
as with the servant, so with his master;
as with the maid, so with her mistress;
as with the buyer, so with the seller;
as with the creditor, so with the debtor;
as with the taker of interest, so with the giver of interest to him.
- The earth shall be utterly emptied, and utterly laid waste;
for Jehovah hath spoken this word.
- The earth mourneth and fadeth away, the world languisheth and fadeth away, the lofty people of the earth do languish.
- The earth also is polluted under the inhabitants thereof;
because they have transgressed the laws, violated the statutes, broken the everlasting covenant.
- Therefore hath the curse devoured the earth, and they that dwell therein are found guilty: therefore the inhabitants of the earth are burned, and few men left.
- The new wine mourneth, the vine languisheth, all the merry-hearted do sigh.
- The mirth of tabrets ceaseth, the noise of them that rejoice endeth, the joy of the harp ceaseth.
- They shall not drink wine with a song;
strong drink shall be bitter to them that drink it.
- The waste city is broken down;
every house is shut up, that no man may come in.
- There is a crying in the streets because of the wine;
all joy is darkened, the mirth of the land is gone.
- In the city is left desolation, and the gate is smitten with destruction.
- For thus shall it be in the midst of the earth among the peoples, as the shaking of an olive-tree, as the gleanings when the vintage is done.
- These shall lift up their voice, they shall shout;
for the majesty of Jehovah they cry aloud from the sea.
- Wherefore glorify ye Jehovah in the east, even the name of Jehovah, the God of Israel, in the isles of the sea.
- From the uttermost part of the earth have we heard songs: Glory to the righteous.
But I said, I pine away, I pine away, woe is me!
the treacherous have dealt treacherously;
yea, the treacherous have dealt very treacherously.
- Fear, and the pit, and the snare, are upon thee, O inhabitant of the earth.
- And it shall come to pass, that he who fleeth from the noise of the fear shall fall into the pit;
and he that cometh up out of the midst of the pit shall be taken in the snare: for the windows on high are opened, and the foundations of the earth tremble.
- The earth is utterly broken, the earth is rent asunder, the earth is shaken violently.
- The earth shall stagger like a drunken man, and shall sway to and fro like a hammock;
and the transgression thereof shall be heavy upon it, and it shall fall, and not rise again.
- And it shall come to pass in that day, that Jehovah will punish the host of the high ones on high, and the kings of the earth upon the earth.
- And they shall be gathered together, as prisoners are gathered in the pit, and shall be shut up in the prison;
and after many days shall they be visited.
- Then the moon shall be confounded, and the sun ashamed;
for Jehovah of hosts will reign in mount Zion, and in Jerusalem;
and before his elders shall be glory.