- For, behold, the Lord, Jehovah of hosts, doth take away from Jerusalem and from Judah stay and staff, the whole stay of bread, and the whole stay of water;
- the mighty man, and the man of war;
the judge, and the prophet, and the diviner, and the elder;
- the captain of fifty, and the honorable man, and the counsellor, and the expert artificer, and the skilful enchanter.
- And I will give children to be their princes, and babes shall rule over them.
- And the people shall be oppressed, every one by another, and every one by his neighbor: the child shall behave himself proudly against the old man, and the base against the honorable.
- When a man shall take hold of his brother in the house of his father, [saying], Thou hast clothing, be thou our ruler, and let this ruin be under thy hand;
- in that day shall he lift up [his voice], saying, I will not be a healer;
for in my house is neither bread nor clothing: ye shall not make me ruler of the people.
- For Jerusalem is ruined, and Judah is fallen;
because their tongue and their doings are against Jehovah, to provoke the eyes of his glory.
- The show of their countenance doth witness against them;
and they declare their sin as Sodom, they hide it not.
Woe unto their soul!
for they have done evil unto themselves.
- Say ye of the righteous, that [it shall be] well [with him];
for they shall eat the fruit of their doings.
- Woe unto the wicked!
[it shall be] ill [with him];
for what his hands have done shall be done unto him.
- As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them.
O my people, they that lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths.
- Jehovah standeth up to contend, and standeth to judge the peoples.
- Jehovah will enter into judgment with the elders of his people, and the princes thereof: It is ye that have eaten up the vineyard;
the spoil of the poor is in your houses:
- what mean ye that ye crush my people, and grind the face of the poor?
saith the Lord, Jehovah of hosts.
- Moreover Jehovah said, Because the daughters of Zion are haughty, and walk with outstretched necks and wanton eyes, walking and mincing as they go, and making a tinkling with their feet;
- therefore the Lord will smite with a scab the crown of the head of the daughters of Zion, and Jehovah will lay bare their secret parts.
- In that day the Lord will take away the beauty of their anklets, and the cauls, and the crescents;
- the pendants, and the bracelets, and the mufflers;
- the headtires, and the ankle chains, and the sashes, and the perfume-boxes, and the amulets;
- the rings, and the nose-jewels;
- the festival robes, and the mantles, and the shawls, and the satchels;
- the hand-mirrors, and the fine linen, and the turbans, and the veils.
- And it shall come to pass, that instead of sweet spices there shall be rottenness;
and instead of a girdle, a rope;
and instead of well set hair, baldness;
and instead of a robe, a girding of sackcloth;
branding instead of beauty.
- Thy men shall fall by the sword, and thy mighty in the war.
- And her gates shall lament and mourn;
and she shall be desolate and sit upon the ground.