- Behold, my servant, whom I uphold;
my chosen, in whom my soul delighteth: I have put my Spirit upon him;
he will bring forth justice to the Gentiles.
- He will not cry, nor lift up his voice, nor cause it to be heard in the street.
- A bruised reed will he not break, and a dimly burning wick will he not quench: he will bring forth justice in truth.
- He will not fail nor be discouraged, till he have set justice in the earth;
and the isles shall wait for his law.
- Thus saith God Jehovah, he that created the heavens, and stretched them forth;
he that spread abroad the earth and that which cometh out of it;
he that giveth breath unto the people upon it, and spirit to them that walk therein:
- I, Jehovah, have called thee in righteousness, and will hold thy hand, and will keep thee, and give thee for a covenant of the people, for a light of the Gentiles;
- to open the blind eyes, to bring out the prisoners from the dungeon, and them that sit in darkness out of the prison-house.
- I am Jehovah, that is my name;
and my glory will I not give to another, neither my praise unto graven images.
- Behold, the former things are come to pass, and new things do I declare;
before they spring forth I tell you of them.
- Sing unto Jehovah a new song, and his praise from the end of the earth;
ye that go down to the sea, and all that is therein, the isles, and the inhabitants thereof.
- Let the wilderness and the cities thereof lift up [their voice], the villages that Kedar doth inhabit;
let the inhabitants of Sela sing, let them shout from the top of the mountains.
- Let them give glory unto Jehovah, and declare his praise in the islands.
- Jehovah will go forth as a mighty man;
he will stir up [his] zeal like a man of war: he will cry, yea, he will shout aloud;
he will do mightily against his enemies.
- I have long time holden my peace;
I have been still, and refrained myself: [now] will I cry out like a travailing woman;
I will gasp and pant together.
- I will lay waste mountains and hills, and dry up all their herbs;
and I will make the rivers islands, and will dry up the pools.
- And I will bring the blind by a way that they know not;
in paths that they know not will I lead them;
I will make darkness light before them, and crooked places straight.
These things will I do, and I will not forsake them.
- They shall be turned back, they shall be utterly put to shame, that trust in graven images, that say unto molten images, Ye are our gods.
- Hear, ye deaf;
and look, ye blind, that ye may see.
- Who is blind, but my servant?
or deaf, as my messenger that I send?
who is blind as he that is at peace [with me], and blind as Jehovah’s servant?
- Thou seest many things, but thou observest not;
his ears are open, but he heareth not.
- It pleased Jehovah, for his righteousness’ sake, to magnify the law, and make it honorable.
- But this is a people robbed and plundered;
they are all of them snared in holes, and they are hid in prison-houses: they are for a prey, and none delivereth;
for a spoil, and none saith, Restore.
- Who is there among you that will give ear to this?
that will hearken and hear for the time to come?
- Who gave Jacob for a spoil, and Israel to the robbers?
did not Jehovah?
he against whom we have sinned, and in whose ways they would not walk, neither were they obedient unto his law.
- Therefore he poured upon him the fierceness of his anger, and the strength of battle;
and it set him on fire round about, yet he knew not;
and it burned him, yet he laid it not to heart.