- Hearken to me, ye that follow after righteousness, ye that seek Jehovah: look unto the rock whence ye were hewn, and to the hold of the pit whence ye were digged.
- Look unto Abraham your father, and unto Sarah that bare you;
for when he was but one I called him, and I blessed him, and made him many.
- For Jehovah hath comforted Zion;
he hath comforted all her waste places, and hath made her wilderness like Eden, and her desert like the garden of Jehovah;
joy and gladness shall be found therein, thanksgiving, and the voice of melody.
- Attend unto me, O my people;
and give ear unto me, O my nation: for a law shall go forth from me, and I will establish my justice for a light of the peoples.
- My righteousness is near, my salvation is gone forth, and mine arms shall judge the peoples;
the isles shall wait for me, and on mine arm shall they trust.
- Lift up your eyes to the heavens, and look upon the earth beneath;
for the heavens shall vanish away like smoke, and the earth shall wax old like a garment;
and they that dwell therein shall die in like manner: but my salvation shall be for ever, and my righteousness shall not be abolished.
- Hearken unto me, ye that know righteousness, the people in whose heart is my law;
fear ye not the reproach of men, neither be ye dismayed at their revilings.
- For the moth shall eat them up like a garment, and the worm shall eat them like wool;
but my righteousness shall be for ever, and my salvation unto all generations.
- Awake, awake, put on strength, O arm of Jehovah;
awake, as in the days of old, the generations of ancient times.
Is it not thou that didst cut Rahab in pieces, that didst pierce the monster?
- Is it not thou that driedst up the sea, the waters of the great deep;
that madest the depths of the sea a way for the redeemed to pass over?
- And the ransomed of Jehovah shall return, and come with singing unto Zion;
and everlasting joy shall be upon their heads: they shall obtain gladness and joy;
[and] sorrow and sighing shall flee away.
- I, even I, am he that comforteth you: who art thou, that thou art afraid of man that shall die, and of the son of man that shall be made as grass;
- and hast forgotten Jehovah thy Maker, that stretched forth the heavens, and laid the foundations of the earth;
and fearest continually all the day because of the fury of the oppressor, when he maketh ready to destroy?
and where is the fury of the oppressor?
- The captive exile shall speedily be loosed;
and he shall not die [and go down] into the pit, neither shall his bread fail.
- For I am Jehovah thy God, who stirreth up the sea, so that the waves thereof roar: Jehovah of hosts is his name.
- And I have put my words in thy mouth, and have covered thee in the shadow of my hand, that I may plant the heavens, and lay the foundations of the earth, and say unto Zion, Thou art my people.
- Awake, awake, stand up, O Jerusalem, that hast drunk at the hand of Jehovah the cup of his wrath;
thou hast drunken the bowl of the cup of staggering, and drained it.
- There is none to guide her among all the sons whom she hath brought forth;
neither is there any that taketh her by the hand among all the sons that she hath brought up.
- These two things are befallen thee, who shall bemoan thee?
desolation and destruction, and the famine and the sword;
how shall I comfort thee?
- Thy sons have fainted, they lie at the head of all the streets, as an antelope in a net;
they are full of the wrath of Jehovah, the rebuke of thy God.
- Therefore hear now this, thou afflicted, and drunken, but now with wine:
- Thus saith thy Lord Jehovah, and thy God that pleadeth the cause of his people, Behold, I have taken out of thy hand the cup of staggering, even the bowl of the cup of my wrath;
thou shalt no more drink it again:
- and I will put it into the hand of them that afflict thee, that have said to thy soul, Bow down, that we may go over;
and thou hast laid thy back as the ground, and as the street, to them that go over.