- Cry aloud, spare not, lift up thy voice like a trumpet, and declare unto my people their transgression, and to the house of Jacob their sins.
- Yet they seek me daily, and delight to know my ways: as a nation that did righteousness, and forsook not the ordinance of their God, they ask of me righteous judgments;
they delight to draw near unto God.
- Wherefore have we fasted, [say they], and thou seest not?
[wherefore] have we afflicted our soul, and thou takest no knowledge?
Behold, in the day of your fast ye find [your own] pleasure, and exact all your labors.
- Behold, ye fast for strife and contention, and to smite with the fist of wickedness: ye fast not this day so as to make your voice to be heard on high.
- Is such the fast that I have chosen?
the day for a man to afflict his soul?
Is it to bow down his head as a rush, and to spread sackcloth and ashes under him?
wilt thou call this a fast, and an acceptable day to Jehovah?
- Is not this the fast that I have chosen: to loose the bonds of wickedness, to undo the bands of the yoke, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke?
- Is it not to deal thy bread to the hungry, and that thou bring the poor that are cast out to thy house?
when thou seest the naked, that thou cover him;
and that thou hide not thyself from thine own flesh?
- Then shall thy light break forth as the morning, and thy healing shall spring forth speedily;
and thy righteousness shall go before thee;
the glory of Jehovah shall by thy rearward.
- Then shalt thou call, and Jehovah will answer;
thou shalt cry, and he will say, Here I am.
If thou take away from the midst of thee the yoke, the putting forth of the finger, and speaking wickedly;
- and if thou draw out thy soul to the hungry, and satisfy the afflicted soul: then shall thy light rise in darkness, and thine obscurity be as the noonday;
- and Jehovah will guide thee continually, and satisfy thy soul in dry places, and make strong thy bones;
and thou shalt be like a watered garden, and like a spring of water, whose waters fail not.
- And they that shall be of thee shall build the old waste places;
thou shalt raise up the foundations of many generations;
and thou shalt be called The repairer of the breach, The restorer of paths to dwell in.
- If thou turn away thy foot from the sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on my holy day;
and call the sabbath a delight, [and] the holy of Jehovah honorable;
and shalt honor it, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking [thine own] words:
- then shalt thou delight thyself in Jehovah;
and I will make thee to ride upon the high places of the earth;
and I will feed thee with the heritage of Jacob thy father: for the mouth of Jehovah hath spoken it.