- Oh that thou wouldest rend the heavens, that thou wouldest come down, that the mountains might quake at thy presence,
- as when fire kindleth the brushwood, [and] the fire causeth the waters to boil;
to make thy name known to thine adversaries, that the nations may tremble at thy presence!
- When thou didst terrible things which we looked not for, thou camest down, the mountains quaked at thy presence.
- For from of old men have not heard, nor perceived by the ear, neither hath the eye seen a God besides thee, who worketh for him that waiteth for him.
- Thou meetest him that rejoiceth and worketh righteousness, those that remember thee in thy ways: behold, thou wast wroth, and we sinned: in them [have we been] of long time;
and shall we be saved?
- For we are all become as one that is unclean, and all our righteousnesses are as a polluted garment: and we all do fade as a leaf;
and our iniquities, like the wind, take us away.
- And there is none that calleth upon thy name, that stirreth up himself to take hold of thee;
for thou hast hid thy face from us, and hast consumed us by means of our iniquities.
- But now, O Jehovah, thou art our Father;
we are the clay, and thou our potter;
and we all are the work of thy hand.
- Be not wroth very sore, O Jehovah, neither remember iniquity for ever: behold, look, we beseech thee, we are all thy people.
- Thy holy cities are become a wilderness, Zion is become a wilderness, Jerusalem a desolation.
- Our holy and our beautiful house, where our fathers praised thee, is burned with fire;
and all our pleasant places are laid waste.
- Wilt thou refrain thyself for these things, O Jehovah?
wilt thou hold thy peace, and afflict us very sore?