- And there was a man of the hill-country of Ephraim, whose name was Micah.
- And he said unto his mother, The eleven hundred [pieces] of silver that were taken from thee, about which thou didst utter a curse, and didst also speak it in mine ears, behold, the silver is with me;
I took it.
And his mother said, Blessed be my son of Jehovah.
- And he restored the eleven hundred [pieces] of silver to his mother;
and his mother said, I verily dedicate the silver unto Jehovah from my hand for my son, to make a graven image and a molten image: now therefore I will restore it unto thee.
- And when he restored the money unto his mother, his mother took two hundred [pieces] of silver, and gave them to the founder, who made thereof a graven image and a molten image: and it was in the house of Micah.
- And the man Micah had a house of gods, and he made an ephod, and teraphim, and consecrated one of his sons, who became his priest.
- In those days there was no king in Israel: every man did that which was right in his own eyes.
- And there was a young man out of Beth-lehem-judah, of the family of Judah, who was a Levite;
and he sojourned there.
- And the man departed out of the city, out of Beth-lehem-judah, to sojourn where he could find [a place], and he came to the hill-country of Ephraim to the house of Micah, as he journeyed.
- And Micah said unto him, Whence comest thou?
And he said unto him, I am a Levite of Beth-lehem-judah, and I go to sojourn where I may find [a place].
- And Micah said unto him, Dwell with me, and be unto me a father and a priest, and I will give thee ten [pieces] of silver by the year, and a suit of apparel, and thy victuals.
So the Levite went in.
- And the Levite was content to dwell with the man;
and the young man was unto him as one of his sons.
- And Micah consecrated the Levite, and the young man became his priest, and was in the house of Micah.
- Then said Micah, Now know I that Jehovah will do me good, seeing I have a Levite to my priest.