- Hear ye the word which Jehovah speaketh unto you, O house of Israel:
- thus saith Jehovah, Learn not the way of the nations, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven;
for the nations are dismayed at them.
- For the customs of the peoples are vanity;
for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman with the axe.
- They deck it with silver and with gold;
they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not.
- They are like a palm-tree, of turned work, and speak not: they must needs be borne, because they cannot go.
Be not afraid of them;
for they cannot do evil, neither is it in them to do good.
- There is none like unto thee, O Jehovah;
thou art great, and thy name is great in might.
- Who should not fear thee, O King of the nations?
for to thee doth it appertain;
forasmuch as among all the wise men of the nations, and in all their royal estate, there is none like unto thee.
- But they are together brutish and foolish: the instruction of idols!
it is but a stock.
- There is silver beaten into plates, which is brought from Tarshish, and gold from Uphaz, the work of the artificer and of the hands of the goldsmith;
blue and purple for their clothing;
they are all the work of skilful men.
- But Jehovah is the true God;
he is the living God, and an everlasting King: at his wrath the earth trembleth, and the nations are not able to abide his indignation.
- Thus shall ye say unto them, The gods that have not made the heavens and the earth, these shall perish from the earth, and from under the heavens.
- He hath made the earth by his power, he hath established the world by his wisdom, and by his understanding hath he stretched out the heavens:
- when he uttereth his voice, there is a tumult of waters in the heavens, and he causeth the vapors to ascend from the ends of the earth;
he maketh lightnings for the rain, and bringeth forth the wind out of his treasuries.
- Every man is become brutish [and is] without knowledge;
every goldsmith is put to shame by his graven image;
for his molten image is falsehood, and there is no breath in them.
- They are vanity, a work of delusion: in the time of their visitation they shall perish.
- The portion of Jacob is not like these;
for he is the former of all things;
and Israel is the tribe of his inheritance: Jehovah of hosts is his name.
- Gather up thy wares out of the land, O thou that abidest in the siege.
- For thus saith Jehovah, Behold, I will sling out the inhabitants of the land at this time, and will distress them, that they may feel [it].
- Woe is me because of my hurt!
my wound is grievous: but I said, Truly this is [my] grief, and I must bear it.
- My tent is destroyed, and all my cords are broken: my children are gone forth from me, and they are not: there is none to spread my tent any more, and to set up my curtains.
- For the shepherds are become brutish, and have not inquired of Jehovah: therefore they have not prospered, and all their flocks are scattered.
- The voice of tidings, behold, it cometh, and a great commotion out of the north country, to make the cities of Judah a desolation, a dwelling-place of jackals.
- O Jehovah, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps.
- O Jehovah, correct me, but in measure: not in thine anger, lest thou bring me to nothing.
- Pour out thy wrath upon the nations that know thee not, and upon the families that call not on thy name: for they have devoured Jacob, yea, they have devoured him and consumed him, and have laid waste his habitation.