- The word of Jehovah that came to Jeremiah concerning the drought.
- Judah mourneth, and the gates thereof languish, they sit in black upon the ground;
and the cry of Jerusalem is gone up.
- And their nobles send their little ones to the waters: they come to the cisterns, and find no water;
they return with their vessels empty;
they are put to shame and confounded, and cover their heads.
- Because of the ground which is cracked, for that no rain hath been in the land, the plowmen are put to shame, they cover their heads.
- Yea, the hind also in the field calveth, and forsaketh [her young], because there is no grass.
- And the wild asses stand on the bare heights, they pant for air like jackals;
their eyes fail, because there is no herbage.
- Though our iniquities testify against us, work thou for thy name’s sake, O Jehovah;
for our backslidings are many;
we have sinned against thee.
- O thou hope of Israel, the Saviour thereof in the time of trouble, why shouldest thou be as a sojourner in the land, and as a wayfaring man that turneth aside to tarry for a night?
- Why shouldest thou be as a man affrighted, as a mighty man that cannot save?
yet thou, O Jehovah, art in the midst of us, and we are called by thy name;
leave us not.
- Thus saith Jehovah unto this people, Even so have they loved to wander;
they have not refrained their feet: therefore Jehovah doth not accept them;
now will he remember their iniquity, and visit their sins.
- And Jehovah said unto me, Pray not for this people for [their] good.
- When they fast, I will not hear their cry;
and when they offer burnt-offering and meal-offering, I will not accept them;
but I will consume them by the sword, and by the famine, and by the pestilence.
- Then said I, Ah, Lord Jehovah!
behold, the prophets say unto them, Ye shall not see the sword, neither shall ye have famine;
but I will give you assured peace in this place.
- Then Jehovah said unto me, The prophets prophesy lies in my name;
I sent them not, neither have I commanded them, neither spake I unto them: they prophesy unto you a lying vision, and divination, and a thing of nought, and the deceit of their own heart.
- Therefore thus saith Jehovah concerning the prophets that prophesy in my name, and I sent them not, yet they say, Sword and famine shall not be in this land: By sword and famine shall those prophets be consumed.
- And the people to whom they prophesy shall be cast out in the streets of Jerusalem because of the famine and the sword;
and they shall have none to bury them-them, their wives, nor their sons, nor their daughters: for I will pour their wickedness upon them.
- And thou shalt say this word unto them, Let mine eyes run down with tears night and day, and let them not cease;
for the virgin daughter of my people is broken with a great breach, with a very grievous wound.
- If I go forth into the field, then, behold, the slain with the sword!
and if I enter into the city, then, behold, they that are sick with famine!
for both the prophet and the priest go about in the land, and have no knowledge.
- Hast thou utterly rejected Judah?
hath thy soul loathed Zion?
why hast thou smitten us, and there is no healing for us?
We looked for peace, but no good came;
and for a time of healing, and, behold, dismay!
- We acknowledge, O Jehovah, our wickedness, and the iniquity of our fathers;
for we have sinned against thee.
- Do not abhor [us], for thy name’s sake;
do not disgrace the throne of thy glory: remember, break not thy covenant with us.
- Are there any among the vanities of the nations that can cause rain?
or can the heavens give showers?
art not thou he, O Jehovah our God?
therefore we will wait for thee;
for thou hast made all these things.