- Of the children of Ammon.
Thus saith Jehovah: Hath Israel no sons?
hath he no heir?
why then doth Malcam possess Gad, and his people well in the cities thereof?
- Therefore, behold, the days come, saith Jehovah, that I will cause an alarm of war to be heard against Rabbah of the children of Ammon;
and it shall become a desolate heap, and her daughters shall be burned with fire: then shall Israel possess them that did possess him, saith Jehovah.
- Wail, O Heshbon, for Ai is laid waste;
cry, ye daughters of Rabbah, gird you with sackcloth: lament, and run to and fro among the fences;
for Malcam shall go into captivity, his priests and his princes together.
- Wherefore gloriest thou in the valleys, thy flowing valley, O backsliding daughter?
that trusted in her treasures, [saying], Who shall come unto me?
- Behold, I will bring a fear upon thee, saith the Lord, Jehovah of hosts, from all that are round about thee;
and ye shall be driven out every man right forth, and there shall be none to gather together the fugitives.
- But afterward I will bring back the captivity of the children of Ammon, saith Jehovah.
- Of Edom.
Thus saith Jehovah of hosts: Is wisdom no more in Teman?
is counsel perished from the prudent?
is their wisdom vanished?
- Flee ye, turn back, dwell in the depths, O inhabitants of Dedan;
for I will bring the calamity of Esau upon him, the time that I shall visit him.
- If grape-gatherers came to thee, would they not leave some gleaning grapes?
if thieves by night, would they not destroy till they had enough?
- But I have made Esau bare, I have uncovered his secret places, and he shall not be able to hide himself: his seed is destroyed, and his brethren, and his neighbors;
and he is not.
- Leave thy fatherless children, I will preserve them alive;
and let thy widows trust in me.
- For thus saith Jehovah: Behold, they to whom it pertained not to drink of the cup shall assuredly drink;
and art thou he that shall altogether go unpunished?
thou shalt not go unpunished, but thou shalt surely drink.
- For I have sworn by myself, saith Jehovah, that Bozrah shall become an astonishment, a reproach, a waste, and a curse;
and all the cities thereof shall be perpetual wastes.
- I have heard tidings from Jehovah, and an ambassador is sent among the nations, [saying], Gather yourselves together, and come against her, and rise up to the battle.
- For, behold, I have made thee small among the nations, and despised among men.
- As for thy terribleness, the pride of thy heart hath deceived thee, O thou that dwellest in the clefts of the rock, that holdest the height of the hill: though thou shouldest make thy nest as high as the eagle, I will bring thee down from thence, saith Jehovah.
- And Edom shall become an astonishment: every one that passeth by it shall be astonished, and shall hiss at all the plagues thereof.
- As in the overthrow of Sodom and Gomorrah and the neighbor cities thereof, saith Jehovah, no man shall dwell there, neither shall any son of man sojourn therein.
- Behold, he shall come up like a lion from the pride of the Jordan against the strong habitation: for I will suddenly make them run away from it;
and whoso is chosen, him will I appoint over it: for who is like me?
and who will appoint me a time?
and who is the shepherd that will stand before me?
- Therefore hear ye the counsel of Jehovah, that he hath taken against Edom;
and his purposes, that he hath purposed against the inhabitants of Teman: Surely they shall drag them away, [even] the little ones of the flock;
surely he shall make their habitation desolate over them.
- The earth trembleth at the noise of their fall;
there is a cry, the noise whereof is heard in the Red Sea.
- Behold, he shall come up and fly as the eagle, and spread out his wings against Bozrah: and the heart of the mighty men of Edom at that day shall be as the heart of a woman in her pangs.
- Of Damascus.
Hamath is confounded, and Arpad;
for they have heard evil tidings, they are melted away: there is sorrow on the sea;
it cannot be quiet.
- Damascus is waxed feeble, she turneth herself to flee, and trembling hath seized on her: anguish and sorrows have taken hold of her, as of a woman in travail.
- How is the city of praise not forsaken, the city of my joy?
- Therefore her young men shall fall in her streets, and all the men of war shall be brought to silence in that day, saith Jehovah of hosts.
- And I will kindle a fire in the wall of Damascus, and it shall devour the palaces of Ben-hadad.
- Of Kedar, and of the kingdoms of Hazor, which Nebuchadrezzar king of Babylon smote.
Thus saith Jehovah: Arise ye, go up to Kedar, and destroy the children of the east.
- Their tents and their flocks shall they take;
they shall carry away for themselves their curtains, and all their vessels, and their camels;
and they shall cry unto them, Terror on every side!
- Flee ye, wander far off, dwell in the depths, O ye inhabitants of Hazor, saith Jehovah;
for Nebuchadrezzar king of Babylon hath taken counsel against you, and hath conceived a purpose against you.
- Arise, get you up unto a nation that is at ease, that dwelleth without care, saith Jehovah;
that have neither gates nor bars, that dwell alone.
- And their camels shall be a booty, and the multitude of their cattle a spoil: and I will scatter unto all winds them that have the corners [of their hair] cut off;
and I will bring their calamity from every side of them, saith Jehovah.
- And Hazor shall be a dwelling-place of jackals, a desolation for ever: no man shall dwell there, neither shall any son of man sojourn therein.
- The word of Jehovah that came to Jeremiah the prophet concerning Elam, in the beginning of the reign of Zedekiah king of Judah, saying,
- Thus saith Jehovah of hosts: Behold, I will break the bow of Elam, the chief of their might.
- And upon Elam will I bring the four winds from the four quarters of heaven, and will scatter them toward all those winds;
and there shall be no nation whither the outcasts of Elam shall not come.
- And I will cause Elam to be dismayed before their enemies, and before them that seek their life;
and I will bring evil upon them, even my fierce anger, saith Jehovah;
and I will send the sword after them, till I have consumed them;
- and I will set my throne in Elam, and will destroy from thence king and princes, saith Jehovah.
- But it shall come to pass in the latter days, that I will bring back the captivity of Elam, saith Jehovah.