- The word that Jehovah spake concerning Babylon, concerning the land of the Chaldeans, by Jeremiah the prophet.
- Declare ye among the nations and publish, and set up a standard;
publish, and conceal not: say, Babylon is taken, Bel is put to shame, Merodach is dismayed;
her images are put to shame, her idols are dismayed.
- For out of the north there cometh up a nation against her, which shall make her land desolate, and none shall dwell therein: they are fled, they are gone, both man and beast.
- In those days, and in that time, saith Jehovah, the children of Israel shall come, they and the children of Judah together;
they shall go on their way weeping, and shall seek Jehovah their God.
- They shall inquire concerning Zion with their faces thitherward, [saying], Come ye, and join yourselves to Jehovah in an everlasting covenant that shall not be forgotten.
- My people have been lost sheep: their shepherds have caused them to go astray;
they have turned them away on the mountains;
they have gone from mountain to hill;
they have forgotten their resting-place.
- All that found them have devoured them;
and their adversaries said, We are not guilty, because they have sinned against Jehovah, the habitation of righteousness, even Jehovah, the hope of their fathers.
- Flee out of the midst of Babylon, and go forth out of the land of the Chaldeans, and be as the he-goats before the flocks.
- For, lo, I will stir up and cause to come up against Babylon a company of great nations from the north country;
and they shall set themselves in array against her;
from thence she shall be taken: their arrows shall be as of an expert mighty man;
none shall return in vain.
- And Chaldea shall be a prey: all that prey upon her shall be satisfied, saith Jehovah.
- Because ye are glad, because ye rejoice, O ye that plunder my heritage, because ye are wanton as a heifer that treadeth out [the grain], and neigh as strong horses;
- your mother shall be utterly put to shame;
she that bare you shall be confounded: behold, she shall be the hindermost of the nations, a wilderness, a dry land, and a desert.
- Because of the wrath of Jehovah she shall not be inhabited, but she shall be wholly desolate: every one that goeth by Babylon shall be astonished, and hiss at all her plagues.
- Set yourselves in array against Babylon round about, all ye that bend the bow;
shoot at her, spare no arrows: for she hath sinned against Jehovah.
- Shout against her round about: she hath submitted herself;
her bulwarks are fallen, her walls are thrown down;
for it is the vengeance of Jehovah: take vengeance upon her;
as she hath done, do unto her.
- Cut off the sower from Babylon, and him that handleth the sickle in the time of harvest: for fear of the oppressing sword they shall turn every one to his people, and they shall flee every one to his own land.
- Israel is a hunted sheep;
the lions have driven him away: first, the king of Assyria devoured him;
and now at last Nebuchadrezzar king of Babylon hath broken his bones.
- Therefore thus saith Jehovah of hosts, the God of Israel: Behold, I will punish the king of Babylon and his land, as I have punished the king of Assyria.
- And I will bring Israel again to his pasture, and he shall feed on Carmel and Bashan, and his soul shall be satisfied upon the hills of Ephraim and in Gilead.
- In those days, and in that time, saith Jehovah, the iniquity of Israel shall be sought for, and there shall be none;
and the sins of Judah, and they shall not be found: for I will pardon them whom I leave as a remnant.
- Go up against the land of Merathaim, even against it, and against the inhabitants of Pekod: slay and utterly destroy after them, saith Jehovah, and do according to all that I have commanded thee.
- A sound of battle is in the land, and of great destruction.
- How is the hammer of the whole earth cut asunder and broken!
how is Babylon become a desolation among the nations!
- I have laid a snare for thee, and thou art also taken, O Babylon, and thou wast not aware: thou art found, and also caught, because thou hast striven against Jehovah.
- Jehovah hath opened his armory, and hath brought forth the weapons of his indignation;
for the Lord, Jehovah of hosts, hath a work [to do] in the land of the Chaldeans.
- Come against her from the utmost border;
open her store-houses;
cast her up as heaps, and destroy her utterly;
let nothing of her be left.
- Slay all her bullocks;
let them go down to the slaughter: woe unto them!
for their day is come, the time of their visitation.
- The voice of them that flee and escape out of the land of Babylon, to declare in Zion the vengeance of Jehovah our God, the vengeance of his temple.
- Call together the archers against Babylon, all them that bend the bow;
encamp against her round about;
let none thereof escape: recompense her according to her work;
according to all that she hath done, do unto her;
for she hath been proud against Jehovah, against the Holy One of Israel.
- Therefore shall her young men fall in her streets, and all her men of war shall be brought to silence in that day, saith Jehovah.
- Behold, I am against thee, O thou proud one, saith the Lord, Jehovah of hosts;
for thy day is come, the time that I will visit thee.
- And the proud one shall stumble and fall, and none shall raise him up;
and I will kindle a fire in his cities, and it shall devour all that are round about him.
- Thus saith Jehovah of hosts: The children of Israel and the children of Judah are oppressed together;
and all that took them captive hold them fast;
they refuse to let them go.
- Their Redeemer is strong;
Jehovah of hosts is his name: he will thoroughly plead their cause, that he may give rest to the earth, and disquiet the inhabitants of Babylon.
- A sword is upon the Chaldeans, saith Jehovah, and upon the inhabitants of Babylon, and upon her princes, and upon her wise men.
- A sword is upon the boasters, and they shall become fools;
a sword is upon her mighty men, and they shall be dismayed.
- A sword is upon their horses, and upon their chariots, and upon all the mingled people that are in the midst of her;
and they shall become as women: a sword is upon her treasures, and they shall be robbed.
- A drought is upon her waters, and they shall be dried up;
for it is a land of graven images, and they are mad over idols.
- Therefore the wild beasts of the desert with the wolves shall dwell there, and the ostriches shall dwell therein: and it shall be no more inhabited for ever;
neither shall it be dwelt in from generation to generation.
- As when God overthrew Sodom and Gomorrah and the neighbor cities thereof, saith Jehovah, so shall no man dwell there, neither shall any son of man sojourn therein.
- Behold, a people cometh from the north;
and a great nation and many kings shall be stirred up from the uttermost parts of the earth.
- They lay hold on bow and spear;
they are cruel, and have no mercy;
their voice roareth like the sea;
and they ride upon horses, every one set in array, as a man to the battle, against thee, O daughter of Babylon.
- The king of Babylon hath heard the tidings of them, and his hands wax feeble: anguish hath taken hold of him, [and] pangs as of a woman in travail.
- Behold, [the enemy] shall come up like a lion from the pride of the Jordan against the strong habitation: for I will suddenly make them run away from it;
and whoso is chosen, him will I appoint over it: for who is like me?
and who will appoint me a time?
and who is the shepherd that can stand before me?
- Therefore hear ye the counsel of Jehovah, that he hath taken against Babylon;
and his purposes, that he hath purposed against the land of the Chaldeans: Surely they shall drag them away, [even] the little ones of the flock;
surely he shall make their habitation desolate over them.
- At the noise of the taking of Babylon the earth trembleth, and the cry is heard among the nations.