- Flee for safety, ye children of Benjamin, out of the midst of Jerusalem, and blow the trumpet in Tekoa, and raise up a signal on Beth-haccherem;
for evil looketh forth from the north, and a great destruction.
- The comely and delicate one, the daughter of Zion, will I cut off.
- Shepherds with their flocks shall come unto her;
they shall pitch their tents against her round about;
they shall feed every one in his place.
- Prepare ye war against her;
arise, and let us go up at noon.
Woe unto us!
for the day declineth, for the shadows of the evening are stretched out.
- Arise, and let us go up by night, and let us destroy her palaces.
- For thus hath Jehovah of hosts said, Hew ye down trees, and cast up a mound against Jerusalem: this is the city to be visited;
she is wholly oppression in the midst of her.
- As a well casteth forth its waters, so she casteth forth her wickedness: violence and destruction is heard in her;
before me continually is sickness and wounds.
- Be thou instructed, O Jerusalem, lest my soul be alienated from thee;
lest I make thee a desolation, a land not inhabited.
- Thus saith Jehovah of hosts, They shall thoroughly glean the remnant of Israel as a vine: turn again thy hand as a grape-gatherer into the baskets.
- To whom shall I speak and testify, that they may hear?
behold, their ear is uncircumcised, and they cannot hearken: behold, the word of Jehovah is become unto them a reproach;
they have no delight in it.
- Therefore I am full of the wrath of Jehovah;
I am weary with holding in: pour it out upon the children in the street, and upon the assembly of young men together;
for even the husband with the wife shall be taken, the aged with him that is full of days.
- And their houses shall be turned unto others, their fields and their wives together;
for I will stretch out my hand upon the inhabitants of the land, saith Jehovah.
- For from the least of them even unto the greatest of them every one is given to covetousness;
and from the prophet even unto the priest every one dealeth falsely.
- They have healed also the hurt of my people slightly, saying, Peace, peace;
when there is no peace.
- Were they ashamed when they had committed abomination?
nay, they were not at all ashamed, neither could they blush: therefore they shall fall among them that fall;
at the time that I visit them they shall be cast down, saith Jehovah.
- Thus saith Jehovah, Stand ye in the ways and see, and ask for the old paths, where is the good way;
and walk therein, and ye shall find rest for your souls: but they said, We will not walk [therein].
- And I set watchmen over you, [saying], Hearken to the sound of the trumpet;
but they said, We will not hearken.
- Therefore hear, ye nations, and know, O congregation, what is among them.
- Hear, O earth: behold, I will bring evil upon this people, even the fruit of their thoughts, because they have not hearkened unto my words;
and as for my law, they have rejected it.
- To what purpose cometh there to me frankincense from Sheba, and the sweet cane from a far country?
your burnt-offerings are not acceptable, nor your sacrifices pleasing unto me.
- Therefore thus saith Jehovah, Behold, I will lay stumbling-blocks before this people;
and the fathers and the sons together shall stumble against them;
the neighbor and his friend shall perish.
- Thus saith Jehovah, Behold, a people cometh from the north country;
and a great nation shall be stirred up from the uttermost parts of the earth.
- They lay hold on bow and spear;
they are cruel, and have no mercy;
their voice roareth like the sea, and they ride upon horses, every one set in array, as a man to the battle, against thee, O daughter of Zion.
- We have heard the report thereof;
our hands wax feeble: anguish hath taken hold of us, [and] pangs as of a woman in travail.
- Go not forth into the field, nor walk by the way;
for the sword of the enemy, [and] terror, are on every side.
- O daughter of my people, gird thee with sackcloth, and wallow thyself in ashes: make thee mourning, as for an only son, most bitter lamentation;
for the destroyer shall suddenly come upon us.
- I have made thee a trier [and] a fortress among my people;
that thou mayest know and try their way.
- They are all grievous revolters, going about with slanders;
they are brass and iron: they all of them deal corruptly.
- The bellows blow fiercely;
the lead is consumed of the fire: in vain do they go on refining;
for the wicked are not plucked away.
- Refuse silver shall men them, because Jehovah hath rejected them.