- Oh that my head were waters, and mine eyes a fountain of tears, that I might weep day and night for the slain of the daughter of my people!
- Oh that I had in the wilderness a lodging-place of wayfaring men;
that I might leave my people, and go from them!
for they are all adulterers, an assembly of treacherous men.
- And they bend their tongue, [as it were] their bow, for falsehood;
and they are grown strong in the land, but not for truth: for they proceed from evil to evil, and they know not me, saith Jehovah.
- Take ye heed every one of his neighbor, and trust ye not in any brother;
for every brother will utterly supplant, and every neighbor will go about with slanders.
- And they will deceive every one his neighbor, and will not speak the truth: they have taught their tongue to speak lies;
they weary themselves to commit iniquity.
- Thy habitation is in the midst of deceit;
through deceit they refuse to know me, saith Jehovah.
- Therefore thus saith Jehovah of hosts, Behold, I will melt them, and try them;
for how [else] should I do, because of the daughter of my people?
- Their tongue is a deadly arrow;
it speaketh deceit: one speaketh peaceably to his neighbor with his mouth, but in his heart he layeth wait for him.
- Shall I not visit them for these things?
shall not my soul be avenged on such a nation as this?
- For the mountains will I take up a weeping and wailing, and for the pastures of the wilderness a lamentation, because they are burned up, so that none passeth through;
neither can men hear the voice of the cattle;
both the birds of the heavens and the beasts are fled, they are gone.
- And I will make Jerusalem heaps, a dwelling-place of jackals;
and I will make the cities of Judah a desolation, without inhabitant.
- Who is the wise man, that may understand this?
and [who is] he to whom the mouth of Jehovah hath spoken, that he may declare it?
wherefore is the land perished and burned up like a wilderness, so that none passeth through?
- And Jehovah saith, Because they have forsaken my law which I set before them, and have not obeyed my voice, neither walked therein,
- but have walked after the stubbornness of their own heart, and after the Baalim, which their fathers taught them;
- therefore thus saith Jehovah of hosts, the God of Israel, Behold, I will feed them, even this people, with wormwood, and give them water of gall to drink.
- I will scatter them also among the nations, whom neither they nor their fathers have known;
and I will send the sword after them, till I have consumed them.
- Thus saith Jehovah of hosts, Consider ye, and call for the mourning women, that they may come;
and send for the skilful women, that they may come:
- and let them make haste, and take up a wailing for us, that our eyes may run down with tears, and our eyelids gush out with waters.
- For a voice of wailing is heard out of Zion, How are we ruined!
we are greatly confounded, because we have forsaken the land, because they have cast down our dwellings.
- Yet hear the word of Jehovah, O ye women, and let your ear receive the word of his mouth;
and teach your daughters wailing, and every one her neighbor lamentation.
- For death is come up into our windows, it is entered into our palaces;
to cut off the children from without, [and] the young men from the streets.
- Speak, Thus saith Jehovah, The dead bodies of men shall fall as dung upon the open field, and as the handful after the harvestman;
and none shall gather [them].
- Thus saith Jehovah, Let not the wise man glory in his wisdom, neither let the mighty man glory in his might, let not the rich man glory in his riches;
- but let him that glorieth glory in this, that he hath understanding, and knoweth me, that I am Jehovah who exerciseth lovingkindness, justice, and righteousness, in the earth: for in these things I delight, saith Jehovah.
- Behold, the days come, saith Jehovah, that I will punish all them that are circumcised in [their] uncircumcision:
- Egypt, and Judah, and Edom, and the children of Ammon, and Moab, and all that have the corners [of their hair] cut off, that dwell in the wilderness;
for all the nations are uncircumcised, and all the house of Israel are uncircumcised in heart.