- The word of Jehovah that came to Joel the son of Pethuel.
- Hear this, ye old men, and give ear, all ye inhabitants of the land.
Hath this been in your days, or in the days of your fathers?
- Tell ye your children of it, and [let] your children [tell] their children, and their children another generation.
- That which the palmer-worm hath left hath the locust eaten;
and that which the locust hath left hath the canker-worm eaten;
and that which the canker-worm hath left hath the caterpillar eaten.
- Awake, ye drunkards, and weep;
and wail, all ye drinkers of wine, because of the sweet wine;
for it is cut off from your mouth.
- For a nation is come up upon my land, strong, and without number;
his teeth are the teeth of a lion, and he hath the jaw-teeth of a lioness.
- He hath laid my vine waste, and barked my fig-tree: he hath made it clean bare, and cast it away;
the branches thereof are made white.
- Lament like a virgin girded with sackcloth for the husband of her youth.
- The meal-offering and the drink-offering are cut off from the house of Jehovah;
the priests, Jehovah’s ministers, mourn.
- The field is laid waste, the land mourneth;
for the grain is destroyed, the new wine is dried up, the oil languisheth.
- Be confounded, O ye husbandmen, wail, O ye vinedressers, for the wheat and for the barley;
for the harvest of the field is perished.
- The vine is withered, and the fig-tree languisheth;
the pomegranate-tree, the palm-tree also, and the apple-tree, even all the trees of the field are withered: for joy is withered away from the sons of men.
- Gird yourselves [with sackcloth], and lament, ye priests;
wail, ye ministers of the altar;
come, lie all night in sackcloth, ye ministers of my God: for the meal-offering and the drink-offering are withholden from the house of your God.
- Sanctify a fast, call a solemn assembly, gather the old men [and] all the inhabitants of the land unto the house of Jehovah your God, and cry unto Jehovah.
- Alas for the day!
for the day of Jehovah is at hand, and as destruction from the Almighty shall it come.
- Is not the food cut off before our eyes, [yea], joy and gladness from the house of our God?
- The seeds rot under their clods;
the garners are laid desolate, the barns are broken down;
for the grain is withered.
- How do the beasts groan!
the herds of cattle are perplexed, because they have no pasture;
yea, the flocks of sheep are made desolate.
- O Jehovah, to thee do I cry;
for the fire hath devoured the pastures of the wilderness, and the flame hath burned all the trees of the field.
- Yea, the beasts of the field pant unto thee;
for the water brooks are dried up, and the fire hath devoured the pastures of the wilderness.