- Blow ye the trumpet in Zion, and sound an alarm in my holy mountain;
let all the inhabitants of the land tremble: for the day of Jehovah cometh, for it is nigh at hand;
- a day of darkness and gloominess, a day of clouds and thick darkness, as the dawn spread upon the mountains;
a great people and a strong;
there hath not been ever the like, neither shall be any more after them, even to the years of many generations.
- A fire devoureth before them;
and behind them a flame burneth: the land is as the garden of Eden before them, and behind them a desolate wilderness;
yea, and none hath escaped them.
- The appearance of them is as the appearance of horses;
and as horsemen, so do they run.
- Like the noise of chariots on the tops of the mountains do they leap, like the noise of a flame of fire that devoureth the stubble, as a strong people set in battle array.
- At their presence the peoples are in anguish;
all faces are waxed pale.
- They run like mighty men;
they climb the wall like men of war;
and they march every one on his ways, and they break not their ranks.
- Neither doth one thrust another;
they march every one in his path;
and they burst through the weapons, and break not off [their course].
- They leap upon the city;
they run upon the wall;
they climb up into the houses;
they enter in at the windows like a thief.
- The earth quaketh before them;
the heavens tremble;
the sun and the moon are darkened, and the stars withdraw their shining.
- And Jehovah uttereth his voice before his army;
for his camp is very great;
for he is strong that executeth his word;
for the day of Jehovah is great and very terrible;
and who can abide it?
- Yet even now, saith Jehovah, turn ye unto me with all your heart, and with fasting, and with weeping, and with mourning:
- and rend your heart, and not your garments, and turn unto Jehovah your God;
for he is gracious and merciful, slow to anger, and abundant in lovingkindness, and repenteth him of the evil.
- Who knoweth whether he will not turn and repent, and leave a blessing behind him, even a meal-offering and a drink-offering unto Jehovah your God?
- Blow the trumpet in Zion, sanctify a fast, call a solemn assembly;
- gather the people, sanctify the assembly, assemble the old men, gather the children, and those that suck the breasts;
let the bridegroom go forth from his chamber, and the bride out of her closet.
- Let the priests, the ministers of Jehovah, weep between the porch and the altar, and let them say, Spare thy people, O Jehovah, and give not thy heritage to reproach, that the nations should rule over them: wherefore should they say among the peoples, Where is their God?
- Then was Jehovah jealous for his land, and had pity on his people.
- And Jehovah answered and said unto his people, Behold, I will send you grain, and new wine, and oil, and ye shall be satisfied therewith;
and I will no more make you a reproach among the nations;
- but I will remove far off from you the northern [army], and will drive it into a land barren and desolate, its forepart into the eastern sea, and its hinder part into the western sea;
and its stench shall come up, and its ill savor shall come up, because it hath done great things.
- Fear not, O land, be glad and rejoice;
for Jehovah hath done great things.
- Be not afraid, ye beasts of the field;
for the pastures of the wilderness do spring, for the tree beareth its fruit, the fig-tree and the vine do yield their strength.
- Be glad then, ye children of Zion, and rejoice in Jehovah your God;
for he giveth you the former rain in just measure, and he causeth to come down for you the rain, the former rain and the latter rain, in the first [month].
- And the floors shall be full of wheat, and the vats shall overflow with new wine and oil.
- And I will restore to you the years that the locust hath eaten, the canker-worm, and the caterpillar, and the palmer-worm, my great army which I sent among you.
- And ye shall eat in plenty and be satisfied, and shall praise the name of Jehovah your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you;
and my people shall never be put to shame.
- And ye shall know that I am in the midst of Israel, and that I am Jehovah your God, and there is none else;
and my people shall never be put to shame.
- And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my Spirit upon all flesh;
and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions:
- and also upon the servants and upon the handmaids in those days will I pour out my Spirit.
- And I will show wonders in the heavens and in the earth: blood, and fire, and pillars of smoke.
- The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before the great and terrible day of Jehovah cometh.
- And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of Jehovah shall be delivered;
for in mount Zion and in Jerusalem there shall be those that escape, as Jehovah hath said, and among the remnant those whom Jehovah doth call.