- And after these things Jesus walked in Galilee: for he would not walk in Judaea, because the Jews sought to kill him.
- Now the feast of the Jews, the feast of tabernacles, was at hand.
- His brethren therefore said unto him, Depart hence, and go into Judaea, that thy disciples also may behold thy works which thou doest.
- For no man doeth anything in secret, and himself seeketh to be known openly.
If thou doest these things, manifest thyself to the world.
- For even his brethren did not believe on him.
- Jesus therefore saith unto them, My time is not yet come;
but your time is always ready.
- The world cannot hate you;
but me it hateth, because I testify of it, that its works are evil.
- Go ye up unto the feast: I go not up unto this feast;
because my time is not yet fulfilled.
- And having said these things unto them, he abode [still] in Galilee.
- But when his brethren were gone up unto the feast, then went he also up, not publicly, but as it were in secret.
- The Jews therefore sought him at the feast, and said, Where is he?
- And there was much murmuring among the multitudes concerning him: some said, He is a good man;
others said, Not so, but he leadeth the multitude astray.
- Yet no man spake openly of him for fear of the Jews.
- But when it was now the midst of the feast Jesus went up into the temple, and taught.
- The Jews therefore marvelled, saying, How knoweth this man letters, having never learned?
- Jesus therefore answered them and said, My teaching is not mine, but his that sent me.
- If any man willeth to do his will, he shall know of the teaching, whether it is of God, or [whether] I speak from myself.
- He that speaketh from himself seeketh his own glory: but he that seeketh the glory of him that sent him, the same is true, and no unrighteousness is in him.
- Did not Moses give you the law, and [yet] none of you doeth the law?
Why seek ye to kill me?
- The multitude answered, Thou hast a demon: who seeketh to kill thee?
- Jesus answered and said unto them, I did one work, and ye all marvel because thereof.
- Moses hath given you circumcision (not that it is of Moses, but of the fathers);
and on the sabbath ye circumcise a man.
- If a man receiveth circumcision on the sabbath, that the law of Moses may not be broken;
are ye wroth with me, because I made a man every whit whole on the sabbath?
- Judge not according to appearance, but judge righteous judgment.
- Some therefore of them of Jerusalem said, Is not this he whom they seek to kill?
- And lo, he speaketh openly, and they say nothing unto him.
Can it be that the rulers indeed know that this is the Christ?
- Howbeit we know this man whence he is: but when the Christ cometh, no one knoweth whence he is.
- Jesus therefore cried in the temple, teaching and saying, Ye both know me, and know whence I am;
and I am not come of myself, but he that sent me is true, whom ye know not.
- I know him;
because I am from him, and he sent me.
- They sought therefore to take him: and no man laid his hand on him, because his hour was not yet come.
- But of the multitude many believed on him;
and they said, When the Christ shall come, will he do more signs than those which this man hath done?
- The Pharisees heard the multitude murmuring these things concerning him;
and the chief priests and the Pharisees sent officers to take him.
- Jesus therefore said, Yet a little while am I with you, and I go unto him that sent me.
- Ye shall seek me, and shall not find me: and where I am, ye cannot come.
- The Jews therefore said among themselves, Whither will this man go that we shall not find him?
will he go unto the Dispersion among the Greeks, and teach the Greeks?
- What is this word that he said, Ye shall seek me, and shall not find me;
and where I am, ye cannot come?
- Now on the last day, the great [day] of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me and drink.
- He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, from within him shall flow rivers of living water.
- But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believed on him were to receive: for the Spirit was not yet [given];
because Jesus was not yet glorified.
- [Some] of the multitude therefore, when they heard these words, said, This is of a truth the prophet.
- Others said, This is the Christ.
But some said, What, doth the Christ come out of Galilee?
- Hath not the scripture said that the Christ cometh of the seed of David, and from Bethlehem, the village where David was?
- So there arose a division in the multitude because of him.
- And some of them would have taken him;
but no man laid hands on him.
- The officers therefore came to the chief priests and Pharisees;
and they said unto them, Why did ye not bring him?
- The officers answered, Never man so spake.
- The Pharisees therefore answered them, Are ye also led astray?
- Hath any of the rulers believed on him, or of the Pharisees?
- But this multitude that knoweth not the law are accursed.
- Nicodemus saith unto them (he that came to him before, being one of them),
- Doth our law judge a man, except it first hear from himself and know what he doeth?
- They answered and said unto him, Art thou also of Galilee?
Search, and see that out of Galilee ariseth no prophet.
- And they went every man unto his own house: