- but Jesus went unto the mount of Olives.
- And early in the morning he came again into the temple, and all the people came unto him;
and he sat down, and taught them.
- And the scribes and the Pharisees bring a woman taken in adultery;
and having set her in the midst,
- they say unto him, Teacher, this woman hath been taken in adultery, in the very act.
- Now in the law Moses commanded us to stone such: what then sayest thou of her?
- And this they said, trying him, that they might have [whereof] to accuse him.
But Jesus stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground.
- But when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.
- And again he stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground.
- And they, when they heard it, went out one by one, beginning from the eldest, [even] unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, and the woman, where she was, in the midst.
- And Jesus lifted up himself, and said unto her, Woman, where are they?
did no man condemn thee?
- And she said, No man, Lord.
And Jesus said, Neither do I condemn thee: go thy way;
from henceforth sin no more.
- Again therefore Jesus spake unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in the darkness, but shall have the light of life.
- The Pharisees therefore said unto him, Thou bearest witness of thyself;
thy witness is not true.
- Jesus answered and said unto them, Even if I bear witness of myself, my witness is true;
for I know whence I came, and whither I go;
but ye know not whence I come, or whither I go.
- Ye judge after the flesh;
I judge no man.
- Yea and if I judge, my judgment is true;
for I am not alone, but I and the Father that sent me.
- Yea and in your law it is written, that the witness of two men is true.
- I am he that beareth witness of myself, and the Father that sent me beareth witness of me.
- They said therefore unto him, Where is thy Father?
Jesus answered, Ye know neither me, nor my Father: if ye knew me, ye would know my Father also.
- These words spake he in the treasury, as he taught in the temple: and no man took him;
because his hour was not yet come.
- He said therefore again unto them, I go away, and ye shall seek me, and shall die in your sin: whither I go, ye cannot come.
- The Jews therefore said, Will he kill himself, that he saith, Whither I go, ye cannot come?
- And he said unto them, Ye are from beneath;
I am from above: ye are of this world;
I am not of this world.
- I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for except ye believe that I am [he], ye shall die in your sins.
- They said therefore unto him, Who art thou?
Jesus said unto them, Even that which I have also spoken unto you from the beginning.
- I have many things to speak and to judge concerning you: howbeit he that sent me is true;
and the things which I heard from him, these speak I unto the world.
- They perceived not that he spake to them of the Father.
- Jesus therefore said, When ye have lifted up the Son of man, then shall ye know that I am [he], and [that] I do nothing of myself, but as the Father taught me, I speak these things.
- And he that sent me is with me;
he hath not left me alone;
for I do always the things that are pleasing to him.
- As he spake these things, many believed on him.
- Jesus therefore said to those Jews that had believed him, If ye abide in my word, [then] are ye truly my disciples;
- and ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.
- They answered unto him, We are Abraham’s seed, and have never yet been in bondage to any man: how sayest thou, Ye shall be made free?
- Jesus answered them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Every one that committeth sin is the bondservant of sin.
- And the bondservant abideth not in the house for ever: the son abideth for ever.
- If therefore the Son shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed.
- I know that ye are Abraham’s seed: yet ye seek to kill me, because my word hath not free course in you.
- I speak the things which I have seen with [my] Father: and ye also do the things which ye heard from [your] father.
- They answered and said unto him, Our father is Abraham.
Jesus saith unto them, If ye were Abraham’s children, ye would do the works of Abraham.
- But now ye seek to kill me, a man that hath told you the truth, which I heard from God: this did not Abraham.
- Ye do the works of your father.
They said unto him, We were not born of fornication;
we have one Father, [even] God.
- Jesus said unto them, If God were your Father, ye would love me: for I came forth and am come from God;
for neither have I come of myself, but he sent me.
- Why do ye not understand my speech?
[Even] because ye cannot hear my word.
- Ye are of [your] father the devil, and the lusts of your father it is your will to do.
He was a murderer from the beginning, and standeth not in the truth, because there is no truth in him.
When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father thereof.
- But because I say the truth, ye believe me not.
- Which of you convicteth me of sin?
If I say truth, why do ye not believe me?
- He that is of God heareth the words of God: for this cause ye hear [them] not, because ye are not of God.
- The Jews answered and said unto him, Say we not well that thou art a Samaritan, and hast a demon?
- Jesus answered, I have not a demon;
but I honor my Father, and ye dishonor me.
- But I seek not mine own glory: there is one that seeketh and judgeth.
- Verily, verily, I say unto you, If a man keep my word, he shall never see death.
- The Jews said unto him, Now we know that thou hast a demon.
Abraham died, and the prophets;
and thou sayest, If a man keep my word, he shall never taste of death.
- Art thou greater than our father Abraham, who died?
and the prophets died: whom makest thou thyself?
- Jesus answered, If I glorify myself, my glory is nothing: it is my Father that glorifieth me;
of whom ye say, that he is your God;
- and ye have not known him: but I know him;
and if I should say, I know him not, I shall be like unto you, a liar: but I know him, and keep his word.
- Your father Abraham rejoiced to see my day;
and he saw it, and was glad.
- The Jews therefore said unto him, Thou art not yet fifty years old, and hast thou seen Abraham?
- Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was born, I am.
- They took up stones therefore to cast at him: but Jesus hid himself, and went out of the temple.