- Then Job answered and said,
- No doubt but ye are the people, And wisdom shall die with you.
- But I have understanding as well as you;
I am not inferior to you: Yea, who knoweth not such things as these?
- I am as one that is a laughing-stock to his neighbor, I who called upon God, and he answered: The just, the perfect man is a laughing-stock.
- In the thought of him that is at ease there is contempt for misfortune;
It is ready for them whose foot slippeth.
- The tents of robbers prosper, And they that provoke God are secure;
Into whose hand God bringeth [abundantly].
- But ask now the beasts, and they shall teach thee;
And the birds of the heavens, and they shall tell thee:
- Or speak to the earth, and it shall teach thee;
And the fishes of the sea shall declare unto thee.
- Who knoweth not in all these, That the hand of Jehovah hath wrought this,
- In whose hand is the soul of every living thing, And the breath of all mankind?
- Doth not the ear try words, Even as the palate tasteth its food?
- With aged men is wisdom, And in length of days understanding.
- With [God] is wisdom and might;
He hath counsel and understanding.
- Behold, he breaketh down, and it cannot be built again;
He shutteth up a man, and there can be no opening.
- Behold, he withholdeth the waters, and they dry up;
Again, he sendeth them out, and they overturn the earth.
- With him is strength and wisdom;
The deceived and the deceiver are his.
- He leadeth counsellors away stripped, And judges maketh he fools.
- He looseth the bond of kings, And he bindeth their loins with a girdle.
- He leadeth priests away stripped, And overthroweth the mighty.
- He removeth the speech of the trusty, And taketh away the understanding of the elders.
- He poureth contempt upon princes, And looseth the belt of the strong.
- He uncovereth deep things out of darkness, And bringeth out to light the shadow of death.
- He increaseth the nations, and he destroyeth them: He enlargeth the nations, and he leadeth them captive.
- He taketh away understanding from the chiefs of the people of the earth, And causeth them to wander in a wilderness where there is no way.
- They grope in the dark without light;
And he maketh them to stagger like a drunken man.