- Man, that is born of a woman, Is of few days, and full of trouble.
- He cometh forth like a flower, and is cut down: He fleeth also as a shadow, and continueth not.
- And dost thou open thine eyes upon such a one, And bringest me into judgment with thee?
- Who can bring a clean thing out of an unclean?
- Seeing his days are determined, The number of his months is with thee, And thou hast appointed his bounds that he cannot pass;
- Look away from him, that he may rest, Till he shall accomplish, as a hireling, his day.
- For there is hope of a tree, If it be cut down, that it will sprout again, And that the tender branch thereof will not cease.
- Though the root thereof wax old in the earth, And the stock thereof die in the ground;
- Yet through the scent of water it will bud, And put forth boughs like a plant.
- But man dieth, and is laid low: Yea, man giveth up the ghost, and where is he?
- [As] the waters fail from the sea, And the river wasteth and drieth up;
- So man lieth down and riseth not: Till the heavens be no more, they shall not awake, Nor be roused out of their sleep.
- Oh that thou wouldest hide me in Sheol, That thou wouldest keep me secret, until thy wrath be past, That thou wouldest appoint me a set time, and remember me!
- If a man die, shall he live [again]?
All the days of my warfare would I wait, Till my release should come.
- Thou wouldest call, and I would answer thee: Thou wouldest have a desire to the work of thy hands.
- But now thou numberest my steps: Dost thou not watch over my sin?
- My transgression is sealed up in a bag, And thou fastenest up mine iniquity.
- But the mountain falling cometh to nought;
And the rock is removed out of its place;
- The waters wear the stones;
The overflowings thereof wash away the dust of the earth: So thou destroyest the hope of man.
- Thou prevailest for ever against him, and he passeth;
Thou changest his countenance, and sendest him away.
- His sons come to honor, and he knoweth it not;
And they are brought low, but he perceiveth it not of them.
- But his flesh upon him hath pain, And his soul within him mourneth.