- Then Job answered and said,
- I have heard many such things: Miserable comforters are ye all.
- Shall vain words have an end?
Or what provoketh thee that thou answerest?
- I also could speak as ye do;
If your soul were in my soul’s stead, I could join words together against you, And shake my head at you.
- [But] I would strengthen you with my mouth, And the solace of my lips would assuage [your grief].
- Though I speak, my grief is not assuaged;
And though I forbear, what am I eased?
- But now he hath made me weary: Thou hast made desolate all my company.
- And thou hast laid fast hold on me, [which] is a witness [against me]: And my leanness riseth up against me, It testifieth to my face.
- He hath torn me in his wrath, and persecuted me;
He hath gnashed upon me with his teeth: Mine adversary sharpeneth his eyes upon me.
- They have gaped upon me with their mouth;
They have smitten me upon the cheek reproachfully: They gather themselves together against me.
- God delivereth me to the ungodly, And casteth me into the hands of the wicked.
- I was at ease, and he brake me asunder;
Yea, he hath taken me by the neck, and dashed me to pieces: He hath also set me up for his mark.
- His archers compass me round about;
He cleaveth my reins asunder, and doth not spare;
He poureth out my gall upon the ground.
- He breaketh me with breach upon breach;
He runneth upon me like a giant.
- I have sewed sackcloth upon my skin, And have laid my horn in the dust.
- My face is red with weeping, And on my eyelids is the shadow of death;
- Although there is no violence in my hands, And my prayer is pure.
- O earth, cover not thou my blood, And let my cry have no [resting]-place.
- Even now, behold, my witness is in heaven, And he that voucheth for me is on high.
- My friends scoff at me: [But] mine eye poureth out tears unto God,
- That he would maintain the right of a man with God, And of a son of man with his neighbor!
- For when a few years are come, I shall go the way whence I shall not return.