- My spirit is consumed, my days are extinct, The grave is [ready] for me.
- Surely there are mockers with me, And mine eye dwelleth upon their provocation.
- Give now a pledge, be surety for me with thyself;
Who is there that will strike hands with me?
- For thou hast hid their heart from understanding: Therefore shalt thou not exalt [them].
- He that denounceth his friends for a prey, Even the eyes of his children shall fail.
- But he hath made me a byword of the people;
And they spit in my face.
- Mine eye also is dim by reason of sorrow, And all my members are as a shadow.
- Upright men shall be astonished at this, And the innocent shall stir up himself against the godless.
- Yet shall the righteous hold on his way, And he that hath clean hands shall wax stronger and stronger.
- But as for you all, come on now again;
And I shall not find a wise man among you.
- My days are past, my purposes are broken off, Even the thoughts of my heart.
- They change the night into day: The light, [say they], is near unto the darkness.
- If I look for Sheol as my house;
If I have spread my couch in the darkness;
- If I have said to corruption, Thou art my father;
To the worm, [Thou art] my mother, and my sister;
- Where then is my hope?
And as for my hope, who shall see it?
- It shall go down to the bars of Sheol, When once there is rest in the dust.