- Then Job answered and said,
- How long will ye vex my soul, And break me in pieces with words?
- These ten times have ye reproached me: Ye are not ashamed that ye deal hardly with me.
- And be it indeed that I have erred, Mine error remaineth with myself.
- If indeed ye will magnify yourselves against me, And plead against me my reproach;
- Know now that God hath subverted me [in my cause], And hath compassed me with his net.
- Behold, I cry out of wrong, but I am not heard: I cry for help, but there is no justice.
- He hath walled up my way that I cannot pass, And hath set darkness in my paths.
- He hath stripped me of my glory, And taken the crown from my head.
- He hath broken me down on every side, and I am gone;
And my hope hath he plucked up like a tree.
- He hath also kindled his wrath against me, And he counteth me unto him as [one of] his adversaries.
- His troops come on together, And cast up their way against me, And encamp round about my tent.
- He hath put my brethren far from me, And mine acquaintance are wholly estranged from me.
- My kinsfolk have failed, And my familiar friends have forgotten me.
- They that dwell in my house, and my maids, count me for a stranger;
I am an alien in their sight.
- I call unto my servant, and he giveth me no answer, [Though] I entreat him with my mouth.
- My breath is strange to my wife, And my supplication to the children of mine own mother.
- Even young children despise me;
If I arise, they speak against me.
- All my familiar friends abhor me, And they whom I loved are turned against me.
- My bone cleaveth to my skin and to my flesh, And I am escaped with the skin of my teeth.
- Have pity upon me, have pity upon me, O ye my friends;
For the hand of God hath touched me.
- Why do ye persecute me as God, And are not satisfied with my flesh?
- Oh that my words were now written!
Oh that they were inscribed in a book!
- That with an iron pen and lead They were graven in the rock for ever!
- But as for me I know that my Redeemer liveth, And at last he will stand up upon the earth:
- And after my skin, [even] this [body], is destroyed, Then without my flesh shall I see God;
- Whom I, even I, shall see, on my side, And mine eyes shall behold, and not as a stranger.
My heart is consumed within me.
- If ye say, How we will persecute him!
And that the root of the matter is found in me;
- Be ye afraid of the sword: For wrath [bringeth] the punishments of the sword, That ye may know there is a judgment.