- Then answered Zophar the Naamathite, and said,
- Therefore do my thoughts give answer to me, Even by reason of my haste that is in me.
- I have heard the reproof which putteth me to shame;
And the spirit of my understanding answereth me.
- Knowest thou [not] this of old time, Since man was placed upon earth,
- That the triumphing of the wicked is short, And the joy of the godless but for a moment?
- Though his height mount up to the heavens, And his head reach unto the clouds;
- Yet he shall perish for ever like his own dung: They that have seen him shall say, Where is he?
- He shall fly away as a dream, and shall not be found: Yea, he shall be chased away as a vision of the night.
- The eye which saw him shall see him no more;
Neither shall his place any more behold him.
- His children shall seek the favor of the poor, And his hands shall give back his wealth.
- His bones are full of his youth, But it shall lie down with him in the dust.
- Though wickedness be sweet in his mouth, Though he hide it under his tongue,
- Though he spare it, and will not let it go, But keep it still within his mouth;
- Yet his food in his bowels is turned, It is the gall of asps within him.
- He hath swallowed down riches, and he shall vomit them up again;
God will cast them out of his belly.
- He shall suck the poison of asps: The viper’s tongue shall slay him.
- He shall not look upon the rivers, The flowing streams of honey and butter.
- That which he labored for shall he restore, and shall not swallow it down;
According to the substance that he hath gotten, he shall not rejoice.
- For he hath oppressed and forsaken the poor;
He hath violently taken away a house, and he shall not build it up.
- Because he knew no quietness within him, He shall not save aught of that wherein he delighteth.
- There was nothing left that he devoured not;
Therefore his prosperity shall not endure.
- In the fulness of his sufficiency he shall be in straits: The hand of every one that is in misery shall come upon him.
- When he is about to fill his belly, [God] will cast the fierceness of his wrath upon him, And will rain it upon him while he is eating.
- He shall flee from the iron weapon, And the bow of brass shall strike him through.
- He draweth it forth, and it cometh out of his body;
Yea, the glittering point cometh out of his gall: Terrors are upon him.
- All darkness is laid up for his treasures: A fire not blown [by man] shall devour him;
It shall consume that which is left in his tent.
- The heavens shall reveal his iniquity, And the earth shall rise up against him.
- The increase of his house shall depart;
[His goods] shall flow away in the day of his wrath.
- This is the portion of a wicked man from God, And the heritage appointed unto him by God.