- Then Job answered and said,
- Even to-day is my complaint rebellious: My stroke is heavier than my groaning.
- Oh that I knew where I might find him!
That I might come even to his seat!
- I would set my cause in order before him, And fill my mouth with arguments.
- I would know the words which he would answer me, And understand what he would say unto me.
- Would he contend with me in the greatness of his power?
but he would give heed unto me.
- There the upright might reason with him;
So should I be delivered for ever from my judge.
- Behold, I go forward, but he is not [there];
And backward, but I cannot perceive him;
- On the left hand, when he doth work, but I cannot behold him;
He hideth himself on the right hand, that I cannot see him.
- But he knoweth the way that I take;
When he hath tried me, I shall come forth as gold.
- My foot hath held fast to his steps;
His way have I kept, and turned not aside.
- I have not gone back from the commandment of his lips;
I have treasured up the words of his mouth more than my necessary food.
- But he is in one [mind], and who can turn him?
And what his soul desireth, even that he doeth.
- For he performeth that which is appointed for me: And many such things are with him.
- Therefore am I terrified at his presence;
When I consider, I am afraid of him.
- For God hath made my heart faint, And the Almighty hath terrified me;
- Because I was not cut off before the darkness, Neither did he cover the thick darkness from my face.