- Then Jehovah answered Job out of the whirlwind, and said,
- Who is this that darkeneth counsel By words without knowledge?
- Gird up now thy loins like a man;
For I will demand of thee, and declare thou unto me.
- Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth?
Declare, if thou hast understanding.
- Who determined the measures thereof, if thou knowest?
Or who stretched the line upon it?
- Whereupon were the foundations thereof fastened?
Or who laid the corner-stone thereof,
- When the morning stars sang together, And all the sons of God shouted for joy?
- Or [who] shut up the sea with doors, When it brake forth, [as if] it had issued out of the womb;
- When I made clouds the garment thereof, And thick darkness a swaddling-band for it,
- And marked out for it my bound, And set bars and doors,
- And said, Hitherto shalt thou come, but no further;
And here shall thy proud waves be stayed?
- Hast thou commanded the morning since thy days [began], [And] caused the dayspring to know its place;
- That it might take hold of the ends of the earth, And the wicked be shaken out of it?
- It is changed as clay under the seal;
And [all things] stand forth as a garment:
- And from the wicked their light is withholden, And the high arm is broken.
- Hast thou entered into the springs of the sea?
Or hast thou walked in the recesses of the deep?
- Have the gates of death been revealed unto thee?
Or hast thou seen the gates of the shadow of death?
- Hast thou comprehended the earth in its breadth?
Declare, if thou knowest it all.
- Where is the way to the dwelling of light?
And as for darkness, where is the place thereof,
- That thou shouldest take it to the bound thereof, And that thou shouldest discern the paths to the house thereof?
- [Doubtless], thou knowest, for thou wast then born, And the number of thy days is great!
- Hast thou entered the treasuries of the snow, Or hast thou seen the treasures of the hail,
- Which I have reserved against the time of trouble, Against the day of battle and war?
- By what way is the light parted, Or the east wind scattered upon the earth?
- Who hath cleft a channel for the waterflood, Or the way for the lightning of the thunder;
- To cause it to rain on a land where no man is;
On the wilderness, wherein there is no man;
- To satisfy the waste and desolate [ground], And to cause the tender grass to spring forth?
- Hath the rain a father?
Or who hath begotten the drops of dew?
- Out of whose womb came the ice?
And the hoary frost of heaven, who hath gendered it?
- The waters hide themselves [and become] like stone, And the face of the deep is frozen.
- Canst thou bind the cluster of the Pleiades, Or loose the bands of Orion?
- Canst thou lead forth the Mazzaroth in their season?
Or canst thou guide the Bear with her train?
- Knowest thou the ordinances of the heavens?
Canst thou establish the dominion thereof in the earth?
- Canst thou lift up thy voice to the clouds, That abundance of waters may cover thee?
- Canst thou send forth lightnings, that they may go, And say unto thee, Here we are?
- Who hath put wisdom in the inward parts?
Or who hath given understanding to the mind?
- Who can number the clouds by wisdom?
Or who can pour out the bottles of heaven,
- When the dust runneth into a mass, And the clods cleave fast together?
- Canst thou hunt the prey for the lioness, Or satisfy the appetite of the young lions,
- When they couch in their dens, [And] abide in the covert to lie in wait?
- Who provideth for the raven his prey, When his young ones cry unto God, [And] wander for lack of food?