- Then answered Eliphaz the Temanite, and said,
- If one assay to commune with thee, wilt thou be grieved?
But who can withhold himself from speaking?
- Behold, thou hast instructed many, And thou hast strengthened the weak hands.
- Thy words have upholden him that was falling, And thou hast made firm the feeble knees.
- But now it is come unto thee, and thou faintest;
It toucheth thee, and thou art troubled.
- Is not thy fear [of God] thy confidence, [And] the integrity of thy ways thy hope?
- Remember, I pray thee, who [ever] perished, being innocent?
Or where were the upright cut off?
- According as I have seen, they that plow iniquity, And sow trouble, reap the same.
- By the breath of God they perish, And by the blast of his anger are they consumed.
- The roaring of the lion, and the voice of the fierce lion, And the teeth of the young lions, are broken.
- The old lion perisheth for lack of prey, And the whelps of the lioness are scattered abroad.
- Now a thing was secretly brought to me, And mine ear received a whisper thereof.
- In thoughts from the visions of the night, When deep sleep falleth on men,
- Fear came upon me, and trembling, Which made all my bones to shake.
- Then a spirit passed before my face;
The hair of my flesh stood up.
- It stood still, but I could not discern the appearance thereof;
A form was before mine eyes: [There was] silence, and I heard a voice, [saying],
- Shall mortal man be more just than God?
Shall a man be more pure than his Maker?
- Behold, he putteth no trust in his servants;
And his angels he chargeth with folly:
- How much more them that dwell in houses of clay, Whose foundation is in the dust, Who are crushed before the moth!
- Betwixt morning and evening they are destroyed: They perish for ever without any regarding it.
- Is not their tent-cord plucked up within them?
They die, and that without wisdom.