- Then answered Bildad the Shuhite, and said,
- How long wilt thou speak these things?
And [how long] shall the words of thy mouth be [like] a mighty wind?
- Doth God pervert justice?
Or doth the Almighty pervert righteousness?
- If thy children have sinned against him, And he hath delivered them into the hand of their transgression;
- If thou wouldest seek diligently unto God, And make thy supplication to the Almighty;
- If thou wert pure and upright: Surely now he would awake for thee, And make the habitation of thy righteousness prosperous.
- And though thy beginning was small, Yet thy latter end would greatly increase.
- For inquire, I pray thee, of the former age, And apply thyself to that which their fathers have searched out:
- (For we are but of yesterday, and know nothing, Because our days upon earth are a shadow);
- Shall not they teach thee, and tell thee, And utter words out of their heart?
- Can the rush grow up without mire?
Can the flag grow without water?
- Whilst it is yet in its greenness, [and] not cut down, It withereth before any [other] herb.
- So are the paths of all that forget God;
And the hope of the godless man shall perish:
- Whose confidence shall break in sunder, And whose trust is a spider’s web.
- He shall lean upon his house, but it shall not stand: He shall hold fast thereby, but it shall not endure.
- He is green before the sun, And his shoots go forth over his garden.
- His roots are wrapped about the [stone]-heap, He beholdeth the place of stones.
- If he be destroyed from his place, Then it shall deny him, [saying], I have not seen thee.
- Behold, this is the joy of his way;
And out of the earth shall others spring.
- Behold, God will not cast away a perfect man, Neither will he uphold the evil-doers.
- He will yet fill thy mouth with laughter, And thy lips with shouting.
- They that hate thee shall be clothed with shame;
And the tent of the wicked shall be no more.